Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KKris10
Novice

INTEL DH87RL : Unable to enter BIOS

I have purchased an Intel DH87RL motherboard and I have never been able to enter its BIOS.

On pressing F2 on boot, it just freezes till I hit the reset button on the CPU. F7 doesn't work either.

I know the keyboard is working since F10 option to enter the boot menu works.

I have tried out the following:

1. Removed CMOS battery for 12 hrs with CMOS jumper removed.

2. Tried connecting keyboard to the USB 3.0 port near HDMI port, USB on the front, as well as USB 2.0 ports.

3. Tried long pressing the power button( till 3 beeps)... the options appear but on pressing F2 or F7, system hangs and I have to reset the CPU.

4. Updated the BIOS version to 322. Still no use.

5. Replaced CMOS battery.

6. reseated the RAM.

7. Reseated the SATA connector of HDD to other ports (from port 0 to port 1) on motherboard

8. went to windows 7 from windows 8 ( not needed, i know!!)

9. Re-flashed BIOS( from windows )

My configuration is as follows:

i5 processor i5-4570

Kingston (1 X 4GB) 1600MHz RAM

Cooler Master 600W Thunder PSU

Cooler Master K281 cabinet

Seagate Maxtor 500GB 5200RPM HDD

Display out through HDMI to Sharp Aquos TV( Intel HD4600 unable to output the correct resolution to this TV)

Is the motherboard faulty?

Any support in this regard would be really appreciated.

With Regards,

Karthik K

25 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Karthik, we have been testing this motherboard, but this behavior is totally unexpected.

-I would recommend you to test the board out of the chassis with minimal configuration (Motherboard, processor, power supply, 1 memory stick)

-You may want to try another keyboard just for testing.

-If the motherboard continues giving you problems, please get in touch with our Warranty Department so they can help you to replace the unit: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

KKris10
Novice

Thanks Sylvia,

I was testing out the motherboard yesterday with Intel Integrator Toolkit and it was able to show and edit all the BIOS values from within windows.

Also, F7 option is working for the BIOS reflash (which I have already done). Earlier I was pressing F7 after trying F2, and hence it wasn't working.

At Present, my computer is just the basic build ie. CPU, 1 Stick RAM, PSU, Keyboard & Mouse.

I Interpret that the BIOS is working normally, the only problem is that I am not able to enter the Visual Bios by pressing F2( which hangs the system). Windows boots normally.

Could this development lead to any new insights ?

Regards,

Karthik

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Are you using the onboard video?

Would you please remove the CMOS battery again? Please leave the system without it for about 24 hours.

Also, please disconnect the motherboard from the power supply.

Remove all hard drives and memory.

Then, please install the battery, power supply and 1 memory stick on DIMM # 1.

Change the BIOS jumper on position 2 and 3 and restart the system.

Let me know the results.

KKris10
Novice

Hi Sylvia,

I figured out the problem...

Just by chance, i tried to test my PC's output through VGA (my DVI to VGA adapter just arrived today and I wanted to see if it was working!).. And by chance I gave F2 a try... and guess what... the Visual BIOS came up!!

So I think there must be some display resolution issue with Visual BIOS on HDMI output to my TV which is why it wouldn't show up... But it is working on VGA output..

Please to pass this on to your engineering team so they could look into it... BTW my TV is SHARP Aquos 32" LCD ( model 32a37m) which I was trying to connect thru HDMI..

Thanks for your support!!

With Regards,

Karthik K

AM_V
Beginner

Same problem with DH87MC. Display connected to onboard DVI port with a DVI to VGA adapter.. my display resolution: 1360x768

Bios version: MCH8710H.86A.0158.2014.0912.1100

Hans_B_Intel
Employee

Hi arun.cg

Please let me know if you have done any troubleshooting or if you have tried the suggestions listed in the previous posts. Are you able to get into BIOS using another video cable?

AM_V
Beginner

Hi all, i found a quick solution for this.. it works..

Step 1. Disconnect ur display from the board.

Step 2. Power on., Keep pressing F2

Step 3. Now just connect the display... u'll get into bios

idata
Community Manager

i ll try your solution not working first check then post dont miss lead

idata
Community Manager

i forget bios password i cant open my system ill try all service centres there is no solution even intel service people also give a suggestion damage the board and apply for new board. first time i face problem with intel board. bios reset options are not working in this board board model is intel dh87rl

jdoe11
Beginner

I have experienced exactly the same problem: Pressing F2 during startup will freeze the machine, F7 and F10 work.

I am habitually using my Monitor via the Mainboard's Display Port. After reading Karthriks post I tried connecting with DVI and unplugging the Display Port. Thankfully I managed to enter the Bios via F2.

Please note that this has not happened with earlier BIOS versions. I have first experienced this with 0325. While Trying to debug, I upgraded to 0326. However, the problem persists: Impossible to enter the BIOS via Display Port.

Problems like this and constant other troubles with USB is what truely frustrates me with this board. Almost a year after reporting, there is still no fix. Truely, truely sad, Intel!

Please do something!

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Pssssssssst, I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with this system.

Could you please roll back to BIOS version 0324? I would like to know the results when using this BIOS version.

We are not experiencing this problem in our demo.

Let me know your findings please.

Regards,

LLule
Beginner

Hallo Sylvia,

I had the same problem using the displayport and the bios version 0327. After the roll back to 0324 everything is working fine. Thanks for the hint.

Thanks a lot.

Regards

Lule

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Excellent Luke, I'm glad to know it worked.

jdoe11
Beginner

Thanks for the confirmation, Lule.

I haven't had time and energy yet to test the rollback. However, taking into consideration this recently discovered and https://www.mitre.org/publications/technical-papers/presentation-extreme-privilege-escalation-on-win... extremly serious UEFI vulnerability ("BIOS Extreme Privilege Escalation") I don't believe it's a good idea to run the outdated version. Or can someone from Intel confirm that this is already fixed in 0324.

Or rather: Can we expect a version 0328 where both bugs are fixed?

jdoe11
Beginner

So, will we ever see a resolution to this? I understand Intel has stopped selling (and thus probably also supporting) Motherboards, but can it really be true that you leave your customers to chose between:

1) either not be able to enter BIOS

2) or run your system with a version that has a serious, confirmed security whole.

Honestly, I find this choice rather unacceptable.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

pssssssssst, I understand your point and it is totally correct, however technically speaking there is always a chance that the installation of a previous BIOS version on a device is able to fix the issue.

As you can see, the User Lule was able to fix the problem by rolling back to version 0324. So, once again please try installing the previous BIOS and let me know the results.

If you do not want to perform this BIOS recovery, you can always contact our warranty team in order to replace your board.

jdoe11
Beginner

I have just updated the my DH87RL BIOS to version 0330 (published 2015.07.20)

And guess what? The bug reported herein still persists!

Intel, how can it be that you don't manage to fix a seriously annoying bug that did not even exist in earlier versions? You cannot expect users to rollback to a hopelessly outdated version that contains serious vulnerabilities.

Please, please issue a fixed BIOS asap. This is so frustrating!

IUman
Honored Contributor II

At this point, I strongly recommend staying with a BIOS version that works better for you.

We really apologize for any inconvenience this can cause to you but please be aware that these motherboards are end of life and Intel will not provide future software updates to support new operating systems, BIOS, drivers or improve compatibility with third-party devices and software products.

jdoe11
Beginner

I expected the end-of-life argument. But the mentioned BIOS version 0330 was published only recently and also long after the bug was reported here. And I repeatedly stated that going back to a version with a serious security issue is not a good option.

I might have to get back to your colleague sylvia's suggestion and to return the board for good. What would be your policy here given the fact that you don't produce boards anymore and my problem cannot be fixed?

IUman
Honored Contributor II

As Sylvia explained to you we have tested this motherboard and we have not seen this behavior, also this motherboard has been sold all over the US and other countries and we have not received these problems. If all these motherboards have this problem then we would've received a massive report about this issue, and that is not happening.

If you have done BIOS recovery and still the problem persist we can offer you a replacement board that will be working 100%, you can submit your request here:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Contact Support