Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

INTEL DH87RL high pitched noise after installing MSI RX 560 AERO ITX and plugging in DisplayPort cable

Hi there,

after a hardware upgrade i discovered a peculiarity: the board's speaker emits a high pitched continous sound.

I installed a new MSI RX 560 AERO ITX and plugged in a DisplayPort cable. As soon as the cable is inserted the noise starts, even though the computer is not powered on yet.

When you power on the system the noise disappears but returns on power off.

The same card on other boards does not create the sound so i belive it is specific to the intel board.

Some clues on how to fix this - besides soldering out the speaker - would be awesome.

Cheers Jens

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

When the system is not powered on, the power supply is still generating Standby current to the board. Thus there is some power there. How this might be routed to the internal speaker is the question.

My initial thought is that the DP cable may be responsible; perhaps causing a short of some kind. Before you ask, it is possible that the differences in board routing could cause this to manifest on one and not another - yet neither is responsible for the issue - or should be considered broken. I would try replacing it with a better quality cable to see if this makes a difference.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Wow, that was fast! Yes, i tried another cable sadly with no change. Oddly enough, the same cable with the boards onboard DisplayPort does not produce the sound. Only when the DisplayPort of the graficscard is used the noise is generated.

The other board i tried was an Asus H87M-PLUS - this did not produce the noise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Hhmmm, not sure what else to suggest for eliminating. I will ask some of the design engineers. In the meantime, I can suggest a workaround (or make you smile anyway)...

While we were testing and validating the board design, we needed to avoid (often generated on purpose) speaker noise bothering the other developers around us (let me tell you, there's nothing worse than a cranky BIOS engineer!). What we found worked was to put a piece of electrical tape on the top of the piezo speaker.

...S

0 Kudos