Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LWamb1
Novice

• INTEL driver update for Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family SMBus - A123 - Error 0x800f0203

This driver update is stuck and will not install in Windows Update.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero motherboard, latest 1402 UEFI, Windows 10 Pro and an EVGA GTX 980Ti video card. All drivers are current as far as I can tell and there is a Code 28 Drivers Not Installed for the SM Bus controller showing in Device Manager.

3 Replies
LWamb1
Novice

Also. The Intel driver update utility does not find anything at all and the Z170 chipset which is present on the motherboard is not listed in the other products selection menu.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The package you need to (manually) install can be downloaded here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility- Download Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility). Amongst other things, this will resolve the SMBus controller.

...S

LWamb1
Novice

Thanks Scott. The Device Manager error is gone as is the Windows Update error. Not exactly sure what the Utility I downloaded is though. It looked as though a program was being installed but when finished it was not in my start menu and not in the Control Panel Programs. There is an Intel folder on my C, Programs drive apparently installed by the Utility. Does the folder need to be removed or can it be safely removed?