Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

INTEl d915gav Sata HARDDISK and BIOS

I have Intel D915GAV motherboard with BIOS VERSION .0482(latest;Updated from .0444)

1. I had 4 primary partitions on my 80gb HD(Sata):

C = primary partition = 30 gb

D = primary partition = 9.5 gb

E = primary partition = 17 gb

F = primary partition = 18 gb

2. I had WindowsXPSP3 installed on my C (i.e. 30 gb partition).And Windows Vista Starter on D(i.e. 9.5gb partition).

3. I had recently wanted to install ubuntu on D drive(i.e. 9.5 gb partition).So I tried to free the D drive by Deleting and making D drive an unallocated free space.I have deleted D partition by using windows xp installation CD. Then i quitted installation and restarted the computer.

4. Then the Problem started : BIOS freezes on Intel splash screen, I cant even get to BIOS setup configuration menu.In order to reach BIOS setup I have to unplug the sata cable inside.

Plz someone help me, i've been into a serious problem
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MWong22
New Contributor II

i would recommend changing your HDD to a bigger capacity drive.

do remember to enable S.M.A.R.T in your bios menu to monitor whether is your HDD failing

DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

I keep things simple for backup issues but someone else on this site avoids multi-boot altogether by entering the BIOS to set the startup drive. I assume you are using multi-boot but another larger drive or more is a good idea for now. Even extended partitions have backup issues so I avoid those too, although manual backups may be OK. Another problem is defragmentation.

DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

I just realized one reason I'm not currently using Ubuntu, except on a virtual hard drive, is that I noticed that Linux systems have separate BIOS downloads. The .NET framework will help with many software compatibility issues but it seems some people want more functions in the shrinking BIOS.

DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

If you have your C drive backed up you can probably move the drive to another computer to wipe it (there are free versions for download) or reformat it. I am not sure why free space should be a problem but it may be possible to create a new partition there and format it to get it to work on the original machine.

idata
Community Manager

Just delete "System Reserved Partition" (about 100MB is normal) on another computer with a USB to SATA/IDE adapter for example. You can put it back, but you need to repair boot managers and/or installations after that.

That's the way how I resolved the same case!