Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
11436 Discussions

Incompatibility of Q9550 and DG31PR

FelipeSalgado
Beginner

Hello, I have a Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor and I have a DG31PR motherboard, both Intel, but when I went to test the Q9550 on the board, the computer doesn't go past the OS loading screen, the temperature locked at 96°C (being I have a cooler that cools an i7), and also, as shown in the photos below, there is no information about the processor, for example its name, because the L2 Memory appears normal, and the VCore as well. Remembering that I have the correct BIOS version for the processor to work. Now I don't know if it's a problem with the processor or with the motherboard. I hope you can help me!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You have heatsink-fan unit installed correctly, with appropriate amount of thermal interface material (paste)? Is the heatsink-fan unit plugged into the motherboard's CPU fan header? 

Please include a picture of the Additional System Information page in BIOS Setup.

...S

FelipeSalgado
Beginner

I installed heatsink-fan correctly, everything connected, with my Core 2 Duo E7300 (my current processor) is working normally, only the Q9550 is not working, no information about it appears on the BIOS screen.

What would the Additional System Information screen be in the DG31PR BIOS?

n_scott_pearson
On the main BIOS Setup scene, simply scroll down and select the "Additional System Information" entry. Take a picture of the screen then scroll down to the bottom entry and take another (in case it can't fit all the information on the screen at the same time).
...S
FelipeSalgado
Beginner

Hello, I've attached what you asked for and I took the opportunity to add the one on my E7300, the information and the temperature it stays on, and the cooler isn't even running at full power. I had put the Q9550 back on the board, so I took it out, I checked with my finger if the processor had warmed up, since the motherboard says it has 96°C, but amazingly, it was cold.

I also took the opportunity to record a video to show what happens when I have the Q9550 on board, here is the link:

https://youtu.be/0lmnfX2PeNA

I hope you can help me!

n_scott_pearson

This being the case, I would say that the issue is a bad processor and I would have it replaced. I would add that I have a processor around here somewhere (in the mess that is my office) that also has a bad temperature sensor, so this is definitely not outside of the realm of possibility.

...S