Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RBurd2
Beginner

Intel Core i3 540 CPU with refuses to accept any new Windows 10 NIC or WiFi Card

Intel Core i3 540 CPU @ 3.07.   Board is also Intel DH55HC

I updated recently to Windows 10 knowing that when this machine was a 7 Pro machine. My data cruncher for large Databases. 16 gig RAM. When on 7 the old network card worked fine. I knew when I updated to Win 10 Pro the old card would break I would need new ones. So went to Amazon get an Ethernet Card PCI and New WiFi PCI Express for Win10Pro. Cards are not defective but I cannot get either of them to be recognized by the motherboard. I would really like to get the last little bit out of this machine before It goes to the dump.

I have tried all the drivers for the cards. I have the latest Windows 10 updates. Ver 2004 OS Build 19041.450. 

I have uninstall reinstalled, used the manufacturers drivers I have switched the cards to different slots.

Does anyone know how I can get the latest drivers chipset network or BIOS updates?

Intel says like Obi One Kenobi.....your my only hope?

The BIOS says TCIBX10H.86A.0048.2011.1206.1342

NetworkAdapters not working 

Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter

Intel 82578DC Gig Net Connection

Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC3160

ReaLTEK PCI GbE Family Controller

Other Devices PCI serial Port & Unknown Device

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Let's look at some of the possibilities,

• Remember that you only have support for PCIe 2.0. There are a lot of cards that claim backwards compatibility with PCIe 2.0, but fall short of actually providing it.
  • Any cards that provide a BIOS extension (for boot support, etc.) that is compliant with the latest specifications may have compatibility issues with the BIOS on these older boards.

I presume that you are purchasing cards to go into the two PCIe x1 connectors. I hope that you are not trying to use the PCI connectors (I have heard of issues with these).

What are you using to connect the AC3160 to the board?

Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and have it save the report to a file. Then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

RBurd2
Beginner

I have attached the files below. How cool this interface is...? Very nice. I have a feeling this pain I have had over this may finally go away. 

This may be asking too much but for future reference. Is there any steps you could include on how you come to read the Scan Results below from the Intel System Support Utility? Or maybe a link on how to decipher the information in there that brings about any conclusion that you might have? Thank you very much for this. 

I have tried both PCI and PCIex1 slots. I have like 3 different kinds of NIC and 2 different kinds of Wifi cards. I have tried all of the slots. I have checked the cables many times they are good. I find it surprising that the connection ports are an issue. Has that been since the boards came out or since people upgraded to Win 10 Pro?

Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC3160.   PCIeX1 slot

I did not quite understand the significance of the second bullet you posted?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

My surveying of the SSU Scan data is fairly ad-hoc. I look at BIOS Version, driver versions, memory, etc. for clues. In your case, unfortunately, I am not seeing anything that stands out.

Folks attempting to install graphics cards into these older boards fight a lot of compatibility issues. the most common have to do with the compatibility of the video driver provided by these cards. There are cases where NVIDIA cards sometimes work, but AMD cards do not. Unfortunately, since Intel exiting the Desktop Boards business, there were no BIOS engineers available to look into these issues. I believe that the same thing can happen for the boot drivers found on NICs (to support remote boot), etc. - though these would normally manifest as a system hang, not a board just not appearing to be present.

I hate to say it, but the most likely issue here is a board failure. These boards should be enumerable. Provide a more-complete and more-descriptive list of the cards that you have tried. As an example, a Wireless-AC 3160 card cannot be plugged directly into this motherboard; you would need a PCIe x1 carrier card to support this. Whose carrier card is it? Do you have a link to this card online (on, for example, Amazon)?

...S