Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JPati2
Beginner

Intel D955XBK, IMPI Interface and PCI Serial Port errors, plus IEEE 1394B no longer recognized. HELP!!!

Hello, n00b here... I have a custom built desktop that was handed down to me, and I took it from an XP to Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit. I can no longer use the IEEE 1394B connection to transfer mini-DV tape footage from a Sony camcorder into this computer using either Sony Vegas 10 or Window MovieMaker 6. I have the 1394B cable and just in case, ordered the 1394A cable to see if it is just the cable. I REALLY need to get this hooked up. Any help? Any Advice?

Not sure if this could be the cause, too, but I am getting the error messages for IPMI Interface and PCI Serial Port in the Other Devices are in Computer Management/Device Manager. I have tried to download and install the 1394B_XP_32_4.0.1.exe driver, which FINALLY installed, but made no difference in recognition for the jack, or the error messages. I am officially out of options, and am open to new possibilities if you have them.

Last question: Can older technology like a IEEE 1394B connection be installed in newer computers? Thanks for any help that any of you can send!

Jack

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your board is not supported on any OS above Windows XP:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005640.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Desktop Boards

Doc

JPati2
Beginner

Thanks for the quick answer. Can you please expand on your answer? Am I dead in the water with this machine and trying to use the 1394B ever again? There is no way to do anything about the IPMI or PCI issues? Would reversing back to XP bring these back to life? Any added details would be really helpful. Thanks!

AlHill
Super User

Looking under "discontinued boards" in the link I provided will show you that your board is not supported on anything above XP.

And, if you click on the link for the board itself, you will find there are no drivers for windows 7 for this board, 32 or 64-bit.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/7675 Downloads for Intel® Desktop Board D955XBK

Your board is more than 12 years old. In my opinion, it is time to upgrade to a new board or system, where you will be supported.

You can find other information about your board here: http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d955xbk/sb/d1406501.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d955xbk/sb/d1406501.pdf

Doc

idata
Community Manager

Hello Jackman6,

Try going back to Windows XP and see if you are able to get this configuration going.

Regarding your second question, depending on the platform you are using you can try a PCI firewire card or firewire adapters.

Regards,

Amy C.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

In a (more-) modern computer with a (more-) modern O/S, you can also use USB-to-Firewire adapters to do this. For example: https://www.amazon.com/Electop-Male-FireWire-Female-Adapter/dp/B0144G3Z20 Amazon.com: USB Male to FireWire IEEE 1394 Female Adapter.

...S

idata
Community Manager

Jackman6, hope you were able to follow the suggestions mentioned above.

Regards,

Amy C.

JPati2
Beginner

Thank you all for your input and help on this matter. Turns out, the Intel D955XBK that was installed in this custom-made computer never had the IEEE 1394 A or B jacks soldered onto the board! All this time, I thought it was a software issue, but it was a hardware issue! In front of the computer is the firewire inputs and USB inputs. On the other side of that connection, the USB connections are plugged in, but the Firewire had absolutely nothing to plug into, despite a sticker placed on the bottom inside of the case showing where and how to connect the Firewires. Granted, this has connections for a PCI card, 1394 A and B, so I would have to buy those. Cheap fix, right? Wrong!!! Well, yes it would be cheap. However, I attempted to reset this computer back to XP, and it has since turned into a nice big brick. I've tried loading the original CD of XP onto this, but it won't load from the CD, nor can I change the boot order in BIOS. I've even tried to load Windows 7 onto it again, but it craps out after a certain time (can't remember what section, maybe loading files, and definitely after copying files). I get a black screen that says: NTLDR is missing, Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to restart

So, this poor computer is in circular hell right now lol. Not sure what I can do to the hard drive to get it to accept booting from ANY CD/DVD at this point. I am truly sorry I wasted all of your time, ladies and gents. If I can ever get this to load up with XP or 7, you all will be the first to know

Jack

JPati2
Beginner

Thank you all for your input and help on this matter. Turns out, the Intel D955XBK that was installed in this custom-made computer never had the IEEE 1394 A or B jacks soldered onto the board! All this time, I thought it was a software issue, but it was a hardware issue! In front of the computer is the firewire inputs and USB inputs. On the other side of that connection, the USB connections are plugged in, but the Firewire had absolutely nothing to plug into, despite a sticker placed on the bottom inside of the case showing where and how to connect the Firewires. Granted, this has connections for a PCI card, 1394 A and B, so I would have to buy those. Cheap fix, right? Wrong!!! Well, yes it would be cheap. However, I attempted to reset this computer back to XP, and it has since turned into a nice big brick. I've tried loading the original CD of XP onto this, but it won't load from the CD, nor can I change the boot order in BIOS. I've even tried to load Windows 7 onto it again, but it craps out after a certain time (can't remember what section, maybe loading files, and definitely after copying files). I get a black screen that says: NTLDR is missing, Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to restart

So, this poor computer is in circular hell right now lol. Not sure what I can do to the hard drive to get it to accept booting from ANY CD/DVD at this point. I am truly sorry I wasted all of your time, ladies and gents. If I can ever get this to load up with XP or 7, you all will be the first to know

Jack

idata
Community Manager

Jack, thank you for letting us know that information.

Of course share with us your outcome.

Regards,

Amy C.