Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel DG41MJ Bios Questions...

Jump to solution

All,

I have this mini ITX motherboard in a small cube case machine trying to setup a Kryoflux machine on the Cheap. Going to run Mint and have the Kryoflux boards mounted internally to the case.

Thanks to the Pandemic have some extra time on my hands.

Bought this system on Ebay basically barebones and thru in a couple 300GB SSDs I had laying around and have all the drives mounted but the memory that was in the system was 8 GB of (2X4GB) Wintec AMPX but the system only recognizes 2 GB of it. Not to mention the one stick I believe may be questionable. So I am throwing out both sticks and getting new but I always update the BIOS prior to memory installs.

What would be the latest BIOS for this board?

Where can I obtain the download files?

Currently the system runs just the memory is not as it should.

Thanks for any help on this way old board being put back into service.

Chris

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

This board does not support 8GB DDR2 DIMMs. You can use two 4GB DIMMs, however.

Here are the requirements, as detailed in the TPS document for this board:

1.5 System Memory

The board has two DIMM sockets and supports the following memory features:

• 1.8 V DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs with gold plated contacts, with the option to raise the voltage to support higher performance DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs
  • Dual channel interleaved mode support
  • Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction:
  • Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
  • 8 GB maximum total system memory.
  • Minimum total system memory: 512 MB
  • Non-ECC DIMMs
  • Serial Presence Detect
  • DDR2 667 MHz or DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM DIMMs:

⎯ DDR2 667 MHz DIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)
⎯ DDR2 800 MHz DIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)

Hope this helps,

...S

Highlighted
Super User
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks so much I never thought about the web archives.

So busy setting things up and getting everything on the Kryoflux boards arranged....

Again Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner
Thanks for the response...I believe the issue the with the original memory is the X16 Organization...but I need some confirmation on this one....I am a Software Developer (22 years), not a Hardware person per say, but have been around PCs for 40 years (TRS-80 (CoCo) Days forward).

The AMPX Memory was labeled 3AXT6400C5-4096.

Anyways is the X16 Organization the number of chips on the DIMM. It appears to have 8 on each side.

The assumed bad DIMM does not work in either DIMM Slot but the assumed Good DIMM works in both.

Anyone have any idea what a set of memory (8GB) would cost for this board? Suggestions?

Thanks
Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Clarification...

I should say the assumed good DIMM identifies only at 2GB not 4GB.

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Thanks, but I was really lucky to find it there.

Doc

0 Kudos
Super User Retired Employee

Chris,

You can't tell just by the number of ICs. A DIMM with 16 ICs could be 1Rx16 or 2Rx8 (R is for Rank, BTW). For a quick introduction, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_rank. In general, what I do is look at the description and manufacturer's advertising to see if they are x8 or not (they usually say). For the four possibilities:

2Rx16 - Bad (definitely avoid)

1Rx16 - Maybe (avoid)

2Rx8 - Good

1Rx8 - Best!

One additional thing: It is not mentioned in the spec (but should be), that low-profile DIMMs are NOT supported. This is what a low-profile DIMM look like:

DIMM Low Profile.jpg

This is what a (good( normal-profile DIMM looks like:

DIMM Normal Profile.jpg

As for cost, because the world has moved on and the volume sales are for DDR3L and (mostly) DDR4 memory, DDR2 memory can be very expensive. As well, the jump from 4GB (2x2GB) to 8GB (2x4GB) is HUGE; I saw US$18 for 2x2GB and US$114 for 2x4GB! This is one of the main reasons why we regularly push people away from fixing up these old systems.

...S

0 Kudos