Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Intel DH55HC and WD 3TB WD30EZRX compatibility

Jump to solution

Hi there,

When I plug my new hard drive (WD WD30EZRX) on my still fresh Intel DH55HC mother board, the mother board does not seem to recognize it (not installed in BIOS does not sounds good).

When the HD is plugged on one of the SATA (or eSATA) plugs, the BIOS stay frozen at boot during a long period and do not recognize the HD.

I've upgraded the BIOS to the last version I could find on this site (version 0048), which did not correct the problem. I've also tried to enable the 'boot UEFI OS' option in the BIOS, in which case the BIOS still freeze at boot during 40 seconds, do not recognize the HD and then do not load my OS.

Is there a way to make the mother board recognize the HDD or should I finish her since it already has 3 years ? It is so old, I have to let it go now :-(.

I do not plan to use this HD for the boot partition, I just need a bit more available storage.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Nico_Barb,

The problem you are experiencing could be related to compatibility with the motherboard.

This board is a few years old (2009) and it only has SATA 2 (3.0 Gb/s). The hard drive you are using requires SATA 3 (6.0 Gb/s).

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Nico_Barb,

The problem you are experiencing could be related to compatibility with the motherboard.

This board is a few years old (2009) and it only has SATA 2 (3.0 Gb/s). The hard drive you are using requires SATA 3 (6.0 Gb/s).

Thanks

View solution in original post

PHowa2
Beginner

I have the same motherboard and would consider buying a seagate ST3000DM001. However, although seagate state that it's backwardly compatible with sata II, I'm a bit worried after reading your note regarding the wd hdd.

Could you please advise if the seagate ST3000DM001 will function correctly on the DH55HC board?

Many thanks

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Wowdy,

Technically speaking, if the Seagate HD is backwards compatible you should be able to use it on the SATA II ports.

However, the hard drive's speed will be 3.0Gbs instead of 6.00Gbs.

FFurl
Beginner

Hello sylvia,

I have a similar problem. I've purchased the same HDD but I have a DP35DP motherboard. I want to use this disk as a massive storage unit. I have another HDD as primary unit which boots with Win 7.

As I told I have the same issue. To test if the problem has anything to do with a compatibility issue, I've disconected the primary HDD and let the WD30EZRX as primarry... Then I put an Win 7 Instalation disk to see if it was recognized, and for my surprised it was there, but as a 746Gb HDD.

So, up to now, what I got is this. Functionnig as a primary disk, the system recognized only a 740 GB HDD. And as a secondary disk niether windows nor motherboard recognized it.

Does this help to know what is going on?

Thank you

I've already upgraded the bios and the chipset drivers to the latest version (Intel download center)

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Fede_F,

Please check on the BIOS if UEFI is "enable" or not. It is necessary to have this feature enable, when you are using 2 TB hard drives and more.

Regards.

KTee
New Contributor III

If you can, test the HDD on another system first. It would be a shame to buy another motherboard only to find out that your brand new HDD is bad.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Nico_Barb,

Please let me know if you have another HD so you can try it on that board, just to check if the SATA port is or not working.

Are you able to boot to the OS using another HD?

Have you tried changing the boot order on the BIOS?

Please let me know?