Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMoll1
Beginner

Intel DH77DF - installing Windows 7 or 8 via a USB 3.0 Key

Jump to solution

Hi,

does anyone know how to install Windows 7 or 8 using the higher transfer speed of a USB 3.0 key with an Intel DH77DF mainboard?

As far as I know the procedure differs between Windows 7 and 8. If you know of an easy to follow step-by-step guide, please let me know.

Thank you

PS: Transfer speeds for reading in comparison:

DVD drive

1x = 1.39 MB/s

2x = 2.77 MB/s

4x = 5.54 MB/s

6x = 8.31 MB/s

8x = 11.08 MB/s

10x = 13.58 MB/s

12x = 16.62 MB/s

16x = 22.16 MB/s

18x = 24.93 MB/s

20x = 27.70 MB/s

USB 2.0

• effective throughput up to 35 MB/s
  • actual transfer speeds are usually much lower, from a few MB/s upwards

USB 3.0

• theoretical maximum transmission speed of up to 625 MB/s
  • actual transfer speeds are usually much lower, from about 40 MB/s to 170 MB/s
0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Thank you. Please keep in mind that Windows 7 does not have included the USB 3.0 driver. Therefore, it is not possible to perform the installation of the Operating System from an USB 3.0 device.

As the driver is built-in Windows 8, you just need to install the proper device on the USB port and complete the normal installation process.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Thank you. Please keep in mind that Windows 7 does not have included the USB 3.0 driver. Therefore, it is not possible to perform the installation of the Operating System from an USB 3.0 device.

As the driver is built-in Windows 8, you just need to install the proper device on the USB port and complete the normal installation process.

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

While Win7 doesn't have the USB 3.0 driver built-in, that doesn't mean you can't install Win7 from a USB flash drive.

Win7 installs just fine from the USB drive; I've done this many times myself. You just may not get the full 3.0 speed until you install the 3.0 driver later.

MMoll1
Beginner

Hi, I found this step-by-step guide, of how to prepare a USB 3.0 key to be used to install Windows 7.

Apparently it enables the higher speed of USB 3.0 during the process.

Language is german, but I think the images show pretty good how it is supposed to work.

http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1050065 [HOW-TO] Windows 7 Unattended von USB3 installieren - ComputerBase Forum