Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel DH77EB Motherboard with SSD Intel 540s series crashes.Why?

Hi all,

I have attached my system configuration.

Problem is next:

From time to time( 3 times per day or 1 per week for example) programs freeze one by one until anything freeze.

After this I force restart pc from restart button,(the bios start booting but take much more time than usual to load) the ssd drive Intel 540s are not showed into bios Menu, and system doesn't boot.

The ssd drive will be visible again if I close pc from power button and then turn on the power.

On 3 pc-s with same configuration we have same behavior.

I have updated the bios, ssd firmware and driver to the latest and the behavior is the same. In windows event log are displayed errors just after system load again ("The previous system shutdown at 5:16:35 PM on ‎3/‎1/‎2017 was unexpected." or "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.")

Please help me with this issue, it is very annoyng.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello apop,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

How do you have the SSD connected on the motherboard, are you using some adapter or it is connected to the SATA port?

Is this happening with 3 systems using the same SSD or 3 different SSDs of the same model?

Is it possible for you to try this SSD with the same configuration but use Windows7, 8 or 8.1 just to see if the problem persists? Honestly, I'm asking because this motherboard does not support Windows®10 and if you can try that configuration will be great if not that is understandable.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

All 3 systems use same ssd and same motherboard.

After we have changed the storage drive from hdd to ssd this problem occurs.

Before this change the sistems looks like:

One pc have Windows 7 with hdd

Two pc-s have windows 10 with hdd

With hdd the systems have worked without problems.

We have one more system that has another motherboard model and SSD Intel 540s. This one freezes from time to time for max 1 second, in this time the monitors closes. But suppose that I must open another discussion with this problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

All systems are connected to the SATA port on the motherboard( does it matter on which port the ssd is connected ).

I have upgraded the firmware of each SSD and BIOS version to last version and the problem still persist.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

In this case, if you get this problem with this SSD and you have tested this configuration with three different systems, we can start thinking that this is a compatibility problem, I saying this because the SSD is newer technology for this motherboard and the Intel® Desktop Board DH77EB is out of support, you can check the SSDs that Intel validated for this motherboard at the following link:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000007992.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000007992.html

Check if your motherboard model number appears on the list.

I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear but it is very improbably that three motherboards are defective, the SSDs just need to be plug on the SATA port and it should work like any other HDD but we are experiencing the same issue in all three.

Perhaps you want to try different SATA port 0 or 1 or try different SATA cable to see if it changes anything.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

From what i read in http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/dh77eb/dh77eb_techprod... manual the motherboard have 6 SATA ports:

• Two SATA 6.0 Gb/s interfaces through the Intel H77 Express Chipset with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology RAID support (blue)

• Two internal Serial ATA (SATA) 3.0 Gb/s interfaces through the Intel H77 Express Chipset with Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID support (black)

• One internal SATA connector (multiplexed with the mSATA port, routed to the PCI Express Full-/Half-Mini Card slot) (gray)

• One back panel eSATA port (red) The PCH provides independent SATA port.

Which one is recommended for this SSD?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

The blue one which is the two SATA 6.0 Gb/s interfaces through the Intel H77 Express Chipset with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology RAID support (blue)

Ivan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Now the blue connector is used.

Suppose that Intel Rapid Storage Technology may give me this error, to avoid it,May I use gray connector? It will be any problem?

Thanks,

Andrei

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

The blue ports are the recommended ones because they run at 6.0 Gb/s; this is if we are talking about a 2.5 SSD.

The black port runs at 3.0 Gb/s and with these ports you will lose performance on the data transfer to the SSD but it will not be any problem if you use this SATA port.

The gray port is for PCI Express Full-/Half-Mini Cards, the two that Intel tested are the 80G SSD,mini PCIe model number SSDMAEMC080G2 and the 40G SSD,mini PCIe model number SSDMAEMC040G2.

Please check the following link; it talks about how SSD, min-SATA SSD and mSATA SDD can be installed.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/000005871.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/000005871.html

I hope this can help.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Actually, there is a gray SATA port on this motherboard, that one runs at 3.0Gb/s and it will not be any problem if you use that one either.

Ivan.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Another thing you could try is using the Hard Disk Pre-Delay feature to delay BIOS POST. This is enabled in the SATA device configuration scene in BIOS Setup.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for your responses. I will try to change ports, this is the only thing to check.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

You are more than welcome!

Please keep us posted with the result.

Ivan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

Until now I just changed bios settings from AHCI to IDE just for one computer but the issue was not resolved.

In this time all 3 computers have stop working, having described issue.

I will try to change the sata port.

Thanks for question.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you for the information and please keep us posted how it goes after changing SATA port.

Ivan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Today after a new crash I have changed the port from blue one to the gray one.

The pc works fine, I don't see any speed decrease instead the change from 6.0 Gb/s to 3.0 Gb/s.

If I will get a new crash I will keep you informed.

Have a nice day,

Andrei.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you and I hope everything works as it should.

Ivan.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

Today I get a new crush with changed ports, I don't know what I should do to work fine.

It is very annoying and frustrating, please help me and tell me what should I do to get rid of this issue.

Thank you,

Andrei!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

To me this seems to be a compatibility issue, since you are getting the same problem with three different machines, I would suggest you to try the SSDs tested by Intel with this motherboard.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000007992.html Tested Peripherals for Intel® Desktop Board DH77EB

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos