Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GMoln
Beginner

Intel DH77KC bricked with official BIOS update procedure?

Hi there,

I tried to update my BIOS on DH77KC board from the original 69 version to 110 with Express update started from Windows 7.

(KCH7710H.86A.0110.EB.EXE). After it my motherboard won't start and restarts every 2-3 seconds. I've read other users having the same issue, but many of them could recover the BIOS.

I've done this:

- remove board from chassis

- remove BIOS jumper

- remove all pheriperals, and battery for hours

- create a 2GB FAT16 USB drive with the original BIOS (.BIO file)

- move RAM modules to black slots

- stick the USB in

- ps/2 keyboard in along with display

- put battery back in, following PSU connection

- turn PSU on

The system "starts", but no sign of any activity, and does not start to read the file from the USB drive... i've tried several USB drives and ports and does nothing.

Really, really it is possible to brick the motherboard with an official downloadable BIOS upgrade with an official procedure??? Without replacement board over warranty time?

Is there any other way i can try to restore this?

Thanks for any ideas...

0 Kudos
11 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, EMolGer:

Let's perform a power cycle in your system:

1. Out of the chassis, remove CMOS battery, unplug the power cord.

2. With a clip or something made of conductive material, touch both pins labeled as red in the front panel pins (for 10 seconds).

3. Once done, leave the Motherboard without the CMOS battery for at least 20 mins to make sure all power is drained.

Additionally, you can perform a BIOS rollback or recovery to the version that worked, please refer to the link below.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005969.html BIOS Version Downgrade Instructions for Boards and Kits

Regards,

Esteban C

GMoln
Beginner

Thank you for the answer!

i've tried the steps above but unfortunately did not help.

My problem is that the motherboard won't touch the USB drive in BIOS recovery mode (with the jumper off) at all. Does not even give power to it, as i would see it from the power LED on my USB key.

All the tutorials suppose this to work, so i'm stuck.

Is there a chance that it would work with a SATA CD-ROM drive instead?

Thank you,

Regards,

Gergely

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, EMolGer:

Have you tested with different USB pendrives or USB ports?

Also, is the pendrive full of information? A good troubleshooting step would be to format the device so only the .BIO file is present in the unit.

The Recovery with CD-ROM could also help, that is certainly one of the options to perform the recovery which could work for you.

I look forward to your outcome on this.

Regards,

Esteban C

GMoln
Beginner

Hi there,

Yes, i have tried several USB drives and FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems freshly formatted only with the BIO file on it, and all ports on the board, but no luck.

My guess is that it won't even try to read it.

As my last resort, i'll try to find a SATA CD drive and write my results here, maybe other people will bump into this later too.

Regards,

Gergely

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, EMolGer:

Thank you for your answer.

Your feedback about this process is very important for us and also other users that could encounter with this situation.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

GMoln
Beginner

Hi,

I needed some time to get a SATA CD drive.

My hopes were high as some other users posted that they had no luck with USB keys, but worked with SATA CD drive. Unfortunately, still not for me. Same as with several USB keys, the board does nothing with the drive, i tried everything... different SATA ports...

One more thing i will try is to boot with an older CPU model (i currently have i5-3450), but i kind of gave up. I'm not very happy about this, as i did everything as Intel BIOS upgrade procedure said and still bricked my board. This was not the cheapest board when i bought it. I bought this board intentionally because i wanted to buy quality and it is really upsetting that a BIOS upgrade can brick it. It maybe would have been enough to put a warning to the BIOS downloads not to jump too much in version numbers in one step. This board worked fine for more than 3 years in everyday use until this upgrade, so i really am sad about this. At least Intel should have a special warranty option for cases like this.

Regards,

Gergely

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, EMolGer:

I understand your concern and I do want to assist you on this.

Upgrading the BIOS from a very old version to the newest is known situation.

I would like to know, have you tried with a recovery to the version 0069 this could also help.

0069 download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21096/BIOS-Update-KCH7710H-86A- Download BIOS Update [KCH7710H.86A]

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005969.html BIOS Version Downgrade Instructions for Boards and Kits

Regards,

Esteban C

GMoln
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

i have tried that too. My feeling is that it does not matter what file I put on the USB drive, it won't touch it.

I will try the board soon with another i5 CPU and i'll write my results.

Regards,

Gergely

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, EMolGer:

That could also be a workaround you can test, I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

GMoln
Beginner

Hi there,

I could restore my motherboard

I switched the CPU to i5-3340 and it started up in BIOS config mode. I loaded BIOS defaults, saved settings, replaced the original CPU and it works again.

I could then do a BIOS upgrade with the jumper off and an USB drive with my original CPU.

Woo-hoo!

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, EMolGer:

I am glad to hear that you were able to get this done and working.

If you require any further information or support, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C