Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TClar2
Beginner

Intel DH87RL: Possible defect in motherboard? Graphic Card does not work (white lines etc. )

Hello.

I had tried to use a ASUS Strix GTX 980 Ti on a DH87RL.

RAM is OK, CPU is OK (Prime95 stress test), but white lines etc. appears on the screen.

Are there other possible causes than a defective graphics card (overheating, BGA chip problem...)?

A defect on the motherboard? A GTX 960 had work without problems.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Hhmmm, looks like the card's VRAM was not initialized (or is not working properly)...

What happens if you hit F2 to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS)? Do you see it display cleanly?

What happens if you let it continue on and boot into your O/S (Windows/Linux) environment?

If you can continue on and you do not see any issues in your O/S environment, then I would chock this up to a minor incompatibility existing between the RL board's firmware (BIOS) and the Graphics card's firmware (Video BIOS). I would think that this incompatibility, while inconvenient and a little ugly, can likely be ignored.

If, on the other hand, you are seeing issues once you get into your O/S environment, than I would say that there is a hardware issue. My recommendation in this case would be to return the graphics card and get a replacement.

Hope this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello Tobias_Claren,

Thank you for joining the Desktop Boards community.

Please provide the information requested above, these basically my questions in order to have a better look. Also, provide the following answers;

• Did you make hardware or software changes? Since you mentioned that it worked before it could be related to a change.
  • Is there any chance you can test the card on a different motherboard?
  • What is your BIOS version?

Thanks Scott.

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Community Manager

/thread/113692 Tobias_Claren, if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.