Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBohn
Beginner

Intel DQ35JO MB and CPU Upgrade Causing High Case Fan Speed

I previously had the C2D E6550 SLA9X processor in a PC running XP Pro SP3 with 4 gb of RAM and the latest 1143 BIOS downloaded from the OEM here. I found a deal on a Q9550 quad core and thought why not give it a try.

ftp://ftp.pdspc.com/../Systems/Infinity-JQ.htm ftp://ftp.pdspc.com/../Systems/Infinity-JQ.htm

After the new CPU it has problems with hanging up on restarts, but not on a normal power up. The big thing the case fans are running at 2800 rpm's now where in the past they were very silent, I would guess in the 1500 rpm range. I checked the CPU fan speed and temp, everything is normal and quite. Any thoughts why there is a boot problem and the chassis fans are running so fast? I would guess the CPU is pulling more power, I think the old on was 65 watts vs. the new 90 watts. Do the case fans go by the CPU voltage? I do have the speedfan program and also the Intel dashboard running but there is no way to change the fan speed. They are also plugged directly into the MB not the power supply. Thanks.

Dave

0 Kudos
18 Replies
DBohn
Beginner

The new CPU is the SLB8V unit and seems to be an option for this MB.

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Lovebohn, this motherboard and processor combination is totally supported, however we have seen this behavior when the fans are connected directly to the power supply, but you mentioned that they are plug on the motherboard itself.

This board comes with a feature for hardware monitoring named Intel Quiet System Technology on BIOS.

You may also want to test the system out of the chassis in order to check if the behavior persisted.

DBohn
Beginner

Do you think being a PDS computer they have some odd way in the BIOS to limit the updates to the hardware which may cause this?

When you talk about testing the system out of the chassis are you talking moving everything to a different tower? Is there anything other than the BIOS which needs to be updated?

DBohn
Beginner

Here are a few images to show the current setup, I will also install the old CPU to see if anything odd pops out.

DBohn
Beginner

DBohn
Beginner

DBohn
Beginner

DBohn
Beginner

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Lovebohn, what do you mean with PDS computer? Is this the brand of your system?

If the system is an OEM, there could be BIOS limitations and sometimes, some features are not included. For this kind of products, we recommend customer to contact the manufacture of the computer.

When I mentioned to test the system out of the chassis, I was referring to take the motherboard, processor, video card, and power supply, out of the tower/chassis/case. Sometimes, this behavior is being caused by grounding.

Let me know the results when using the old processor.

DBohn
Beginner

Yes PDS is the brand of computer. There is no warranty so their service was slim to none. I would assume they have it setup as OEM. I thought maybe there was a way to reinstall an unlocked BIOS?? The link I had above was to their FTP site for updates and such just for reference.

Got it on the grounding issue.

NSCOTT_P_Intel
Employee

Lovebohn,

According to our records, PDS is not listed as having received a custom BIOS, which means your board should have the standard BIOS. You can download the final version (1143) of this BIOS from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine... Download Center.

After installing, you can use to get into BIOS Setup and then to load the defaults for all BIOS Setup parameters. Understand, however, that It is possible that PDS may have modified and locked down and perhaps even hidden some of the BIOS Setup parameters. It is also possible that they changed the default values for some parameters so that a restore gets their configuration. Only they would be able to tell you that...

Now, as to temperatures, they all seem reasonably low and this should equate to low fan speeds. What you are seeing do seem quite high in relation, however. Switching the CPU should not have resulted in a change to the minimum fan speed. It may be that PDS also changed the QST configuration; it is hard to tell. Best bet is to get to the final BIOS, install it, reset BIOS config. and then see where you stand...

...Scott

DBohn
Beginner

I'm pretty sure I downloaded the latest BIOS from Intel the last time, but I will do it again. I did do the reset to the default settings over the weekend with no luck on the fan speed. I will reinstall the BIOS like you recommended and go from there.

DBohn
Beginner

I DL'd from the Intel site for sure this time. The BIOS was installing but seemed to stick at the processor stage, I left it for over an hour since I didn't want to brick the MB. I gave up at the hour mark and did a restart and to my surprise things booted up fine. The fan noise is back to normal and seems to be working fine. I did not go into the BIOS yet and see what has changed in the settings. One thing I did notice was in the general properties section on the system properties it does state the CPU as the quad CPU and not a Xeon now. So who knows maybe there was some odd setting removed by PDS on their BIOS which caused this problem. I'm going to post a few images showing the specs now just to see how big of a difference this made. Either way I have a quad core running good now. Thanks for the help. Dave

DBohn
Beginner

DBohn
Beginner

DBohn
Beginner

DBohn
Beginner

DBohn
Beginner