cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMedi2
Beginner

Intel DQ77KB no video, no POST (2x2 beeps = video error?) after power failure

Hello guys,

Im having a setup with a intel dq77kb, 16 gb ram and an intel i7 processor. Worked like a charm for years untill a power failure in the house electricity this week. Everything went down and if I startup the computer I hear 2 times 2 beeps (with earplugs connected) which should be a video error. Since Im not having a external video card I guess the problem is the processor. I already stripped the board to the minimum (leaving only memory and processor). The same beeps remain leaving me with no post screen, no bios enter and no video output. Any idea what the problem is?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello sjaak69,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

Is the power supply fan spinning? Have you check your power supply on another system to check that is providing the proper power to start a system?

Is the heatsink fan spinning?

Try removing every component from your system, the RAM, unplug and disconnect the power supply from the motherboard, disconnect the HDMI cable or the cable you are using to output video, remove the CMOS battery located on the motherboard and leave it like that for a couple of hours and then plug every component back on one at a time on your motherboard and try restarting every system once you add a component.

If that does not work I would suggest you to try different HDMI cable or monitor?

2 beeps is no video output but it doesn't necessary mean that is the processor, it could be the motherboard not outputting the signal through HDMI port or the port where you have the output cable connected.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Ivan U.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

It is possible that the hardware on the board that takes the DisplayPort (DP)-based interface from the processor and presents it as a HDMI interface has failed. You could try using the actual DP interface instead, perhaps using a DP-to-HDMI converter.

Hope this helps,

...S

SMedi2
Beginner

After removing the memory and inserting it back the bord is starting without any error beeps now.

However, it looks like my sata controller is broken. I'm getting a lot of errors when writing to a certain disk. Already tried another power supply (no difference). The HDD runs smoothly on another system so the hard disk it self is definately not broken. Also tried al other sata connectors on the board but the problem remains. Any thoughts on how the solve this issue?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Well, you can try connecting the drive to a different SATA port and see if this helps. It may be, however, that something on the board has failed as a result of the outage. Sometimes, outages occur with a brown-out first and these can wreak havoc on electronics...

...S

idata
Community Manager

At this point, since there was a power outage is very possible that there is a hardware failure, particularly the power supply or the motherboard, but since you already replaced the power supply we already know that power supply is fine.

In this case, without testing the components with known good parts, it's hard to tell what, if anything, was damaged. If you have the option available, I'd try swapping in some new parts, starting with changing the battery on the motherboard and if it does not work the motherboard will need to be replaced.

Before replacing anything try assembling the system out of the chassis, perhaps there is some grounding problem after the power outage.

Regards,

Ivan U.

idata
Community Manager

Hello ,

I'm following on this post to ask you if your issue has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ivan.