cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel DX58SO ECC Memory Issue

Hey all,

Im having a issue with my motherboard, any of the memory channels I choose, I cannot seem to post with my Registered ECC dimms, they run at 1.35 v.

My processor is a xeon x5675. Anytime I would try to boot up the pc with the ecc dimms I would get the 3 beep code which is a memory error, I know that the board can run with ecc memory if it has a compatible processor such as mine, any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

The model number for my ecc dimms are HYNIX: HMT151R7AFP4C-H9

And Yes i'm fully aware that this product was discontinued and has no longer support with intel, I just need help as of now, as I purchased the board new.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Did you read the board's Technical Product Specification? I repeat the pertinent requirements from section 1.5 (page 15):

• 1.5V DDR3 SDRAM DIMMs.
  • Non-ECC DIMMs.

Additional information can be found here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005844/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht... System Memory for the Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO.

You could try using 1.5V ECC DIMMs, but the only guaranteed path will be to use 1.5V non-ECC DIMMs -- and, even then, we're talking about a board that is 10 years old and well beyond the MTBF dates for most of its components (so not so guaranteed).

Regardless of whether or not you purchased this board "new" (however hard I find it to believe that, after all this time, an original shrink-wrapped board was still sitting in someone's inventory), it is still many, many years out of Interactive Support. As well, Intel completely closed down the Desktop Boards business 3+ years ago. The Intel Customer Support representatives simply do not have the knowledge nor access to the resources necessary to help you. I will help you to the extent that I can. I do have one of these boards still running and I do know and can contact other folks who also worked on it (though our memories will be somewhat are definitely going to be foggy after this much time).

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

https://ark.intel.com/products/36888/Intel-Desktop-Board-DX58SO https://ark.intel.com/products/36888/Intel-Desktop-Board-DX58SO

The product specifications specifically say that does indeed supports ecc dims

whether the ecc dims are a lower voltage it should not matter as the max memory voltage for the board should not exceed over 1.6v

I do have regular non ecc dims rated at 1.5v, they seemed to allow the system to post but i'm using those for another project.

still very confused as to why they are not working.

Memory & Storage

• Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)16 GB (after new bios update it should be 24 gb max)
  • Memory TypesDDR3 800/1066/1333/1600
  • Max # of Memory Channels3
  • Max # of DIMMs4
  • ECC Memory Supported ‡Yes
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I realize that ARK says it is supported, but I can find no reference to it being supported in *any* of the product's documentation. In all references, it says ECC memory is not supported. I will contact a few of the developers and see if they have any recollection...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I believe after some bios updates they were able to make ecc supported or had planned to make ecc memory supported, in the bios there is a a mode that allows the memory to run in ecc mode if it has that ability, it's under the performance section in the bios and clicking on "memory overrides".

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Well, I was able to find this parameter in the memory configuration scene, so you may be correct. I never got a response from the BIOS engineers I asked about this, so I can't say for sure one way or the other.

Now, making use of this configuration parameter may be problematic. You may need to install non-ECC memory (so that you can POST and get into BIOS Setup), make the change to the parameter, save it during exit, power off, install the ECC memory and then power on again. If it then POSTs, you should be good to go.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

In case this sill help...

I still own some DX58SO, they are great boards. You can use ECC on them using the latest BIOS (support was introduced after launch), but they must use _unbuffered_ DIMMs - _registered_ DIMMs won't work.

You need the dual-socket 1366 boards to support RDIMMs, no single-socket based on X58 can use them (and few have working UDIMM ECC, you pretty much need an Intel or Supermicro board).

HTH

0 Kudos