Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Intel DX58SO and WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX

I have this 2,5 years old PC with Intel DX58SO and want to upgrade the HDD from a Samsung 500 GB SATA 2 EcoGreen 5400 RPM to a Western Digital 500GB SATA 3 Caviar Blue 7200 RPM.

Is that upgrade possible, i.e., are the board and this new HDD fully compatible?

If not, what should I do to get things done? Please consider that what I need most is a faster HDD.

TIA.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Paulo,

I have too the DX58SO with 4 Disks Caviar Black of 500GB in Raid 0 Mode. +1 Intel X25-M SSD.

I'm using "Intel Rapid Storage Technology ICH9/ICH10/PCH 5/6/7 11.6.0.1030 WHQL" Drivers.

idata
Community Manager

Dear arnaud, thanks for your answer. But would you please translate that "arcaic aramaic" thing you said?

I'm an intermediate user when it comes to software, but an absolute beginner dummy and suck at hardware...

You mean that, yes, I can use a SATA 3 HDD with that mobo, provided I use those drivers? Or do I have to make something like that RAID thing you mentioned?

idata
Community Manager

Dear Paulo,

All i want to say is: Yes it works fine with this mobo. ;-)

The only things to do is to connect the WD Caviar Blue like any other disks. And you're done.

The only limitations it's SATA2 (3Gb/s) ports, Not SATA3 (6Gb/s).

If you already running Windows on this mobo, the disks should appear under "Disk management".

You don't care about Raid or Drivers. :-)

idata
Community Manager

The only limitations it's SATA2 (3Gb/s) ports, Not SATA3 (6Gb/s).

Just to get it straight... You mean the HDD will work OK but with only a 3Gb/s speed, due to the mobo's limitation, though the SATA3 thing can offer a 6Gb/s speed with a compatible mobo, right?

idata
Community Manager

Yes you' re right. Don't Worry, you won't see any difference between SATA2 and SATA3.