Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11361 Discussions

Intel DX58SO2 Replacement?

CBhar
Beginner

GDay Everyone.

I have an Intel DX58SO2 with an i7 990x cpu.

I am fairly sure that the motherboard has died. I have tried replacing every single component, and have isolated the motherboard itself or the CPU as the possible suspects.

So I went looking for a LGA 1366 motherboard to replace this, but find it extremely hard to source a replacement, like from anywhere? I have looked long and hard, on NewEgg and from some local online stores here in Australia but cant find anything I can buy so that I can continue to use my cpu, ram, video, case, psu, etc etc etc?

Am I just plain stupid or ignorant and just am not looking hard enough, or should I give up on the idea of ever using my i7 990x cpu ever again?

I was really happy with the standard performance of the cpu and never tried overclocking, so will be fairly dissappointed if I cant easily source a LGA1366 type motherboard that can support the i7 990x. Seems such a waste as the cpu is awesome.

Cheers,

Cy

Message was edited by: Cyrus Bhardac

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PMacD
Beginner

No lad you are not mad. I too have exactly the same issue. I just missed a new one on eBay 6 weeks or so, of course just before mine started it's death throes. I have been looking ever since and I can only hope that one (or two) turns up. Like you, I found the stock speed of the 990X was perfect for me. I only purchased the 990X 5 weeks ago and without overclocking it, it may have killed my board. The Back to BIOS light comes on at boot up and that is it. No video for a Post or nothing. Death was not instant but tonight it appears to be it.

Good luck down under.

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

These are the compatible motherboards for this processor:

http://processormatch.intel.com/MotherBoards/CompatibleBoards?componentName=i7-990X http://processormatch.intel.com/MotherBoards/CompatibleBoards?componentName=i7-990X

If you may want to look for a 3rd party board, you can search for x58 chipset motherboards. These should be compatible with the processor.

Kevin m