Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ANest3
Beginner

Intel DX79SI and NVIDIA GT610 2GB POST error 51

I have an Intel DX79SI motherboard and I have an old GT610 2GB NVIDIA card (I bought that card around 2.5 years ago) which is working just fine. A few weeks ago I decided to get 2 more monitors and use another card just like that one.

I'm really happy with it. Completely silent, low price, it had the enough power to do what I need. So I decided to buy a new one!

Got one from Amazon, same model, same manufacturer (ASUS NVIDIA GT610 2GB). I unplugged my old card (just to try the new one), plugged in the card in the first PCIe slot (the closest to the CPU, the primary one) and booted my machine, but if failed.

I had a look at the little LED screen (2 digits) that's on the motherboard, and it was stuck on "51". So I had a look at the manual and I saw that the error means some kind of error while enumerating PCI devices.

I thought the card was defective, so I returned it to Amazon and got a new one. But I got the same result! Then I thought that maybe I had really bad luck and that the second card was also broken, so I returned it and got a third one. This one still doesn't work, and still shows the same error.

At this point it's completely clear that it's not because of a defective/broken card. The problem is my motherboard.

What can I do?

PS: My BIOS is updated to the very last version. (which is from 08/2014)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

I would like to know if you have the same behavior when installing the old video card. Could you please let me know?

I think this behavior could be related to a firmware version. Intel motherboards have a revision number, when we make an update or a change on a specific model, the revision number is going to change. (see the last 3 digits on the AA# )

It could be that these video cards are from a newer batch; therefore they are not compatible with motherboard.

Thanks,

ANest3
Beginner

Hi! No, I'm not getting the error with my old graphics card.

Also, note that this graphics card model (the 2GB one) has only 1 BIOS/firmware version, according to http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?manufacturer=Asus&model=GT+610 Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp

Anyways, if it happens to be because of the firmware/BIOS, what can I do? I won't throw a 2 years old top-class (300€!) motherboard.

ANest3
Beginner

I think that my problem is related to this one:

and this one

What is that GOP thing? And why Intel hasn't fixed it?

Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

It could be related to those issues; however the old video card is still working on your system. So I really think this is more relate to a new batch with newer features and fixes.

Question? Are you trying to use 2 video cards on the motherboard? Because if this is correct, it could be a lack of power situation.

ANest3
Beginner

My idea is to use both, yes, but for now I'm trying the new one in "single-mode", aka, removing the old one before inserting the new one.

A new batch with newer features and fixes... well... it's the same hardware, so, unless it's something in the firmware/BIOS of the card, I can't think about anything else.

Anyways, this is a standard PCI card, and as it works with other motherboards, I can't really understand why it won't work with mine.