cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
voidf_0xb3
Beginner

Intel DZ68DB: cannot update BIOS

Jump to solution

I have an old Intel DZ68DB motherboard, which came with BIOS version 0014. I’m interested in updating its BIOS to a more recent version (yes, I know, official support has been discontinued for quite a while now…)

In this thread, I found downloads of BIOS versions 0048 and 0032, as well as instructions for updating BIOS using recovery method. There was also mention of someone who had a problem updating BIOS directly from 0014 to 0048, and instead had to first update to 0032. And this post suggests that I should use recovery method, rather than any other update mechanism.

Therefore, I decided to update my BIOS, using recovery mechanism, from 0014 to 0032. This completed successfully. However, on attempt to subsequently update from 0032 to 0048, I got the following message:

Recovery is not permitted from BIOS 0032 to BIOS 0048.
Please consult the release notes for BIOS 0048 for guidance on BIOS recovery options.

Aborted!

I also managed to acquire downloads of BIOS versions 0040, 0043, and 0047, and got the exact same message when I tried to update to them (with the respective version number substituted, of course).

Finally, I managed to acquire a download of BIOS version 0014 (my original version), and successfully downgraded my BIOS to this version, using the same recovery method.

My question is: how do I proceed in order to update BIOS to the last version (or at least to version 0040)? I could certainly try updating directly from 0014, but I figured I should ask here first, for fear of bricking the motherboard.

EDIT: Since it took me quite a while to find the BIOS downloads, I figured I should share the link with whoever comes looking for them next: https://rebyte.me/en/intel/1166/?fileTypeId=4

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

That is correct; you need to use the iFlash or F7 methods to upgrade from BIOS 32 to BIOS 40. This is because BIOS 32 is the transition BIOS for the support of both 2nd and 3rd generation processors. The next step is to upgrade to BIOS 40 with whatever processor installed that you intend to continue using (i.e. this is where you insert the 3rd gen processor for the first time). For more information, consult the BIOS Release Notes and the following documents:

Once you are on (or past) BIOS 40, I believe you can transition straight to BIOS 48 using the BIOS recovery method, but, for safety, I suggest you individually install BIOS releases 42, 43 and 47 along the way as each of these installs an ME firmware update.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson

That is correct; you need to use the iFlash or F7 methods to upgrade from BIOS 32 to BIOS 40. This is because BIOS 32 is the transition BIOS for the support of both 2nd and 3rd generation processors. The next step is to upgrade to BIOS 40 with whatever processor installed that you intend to continue using (i.e. this is where you insert the 3rd gen processor for the first time). For more information, consult the BIOS Release Notes and the following documents:

Once you are on (or past) BIOS 40, I believe you can transition straight to BIOS 48 using the BIOS recovery method, but, for safety, I suggest you individually install BIOS releases 42, 43 and 47 along the way as each of these installs an ME firmware update.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

voidf_0xb3
Beginner

I’m sorry, I should have probably clarified: I’m not actually interested in installing a new CPU, just updating the BIOS. (Since the board is so old, if I ever get a new CPU, I’ll get a new board as well!)

So, to be clear, what you’re saying I should do is:
1. update from 0014 to 0032 (again) using recovery; then
2. update from 0032 to 0040 using F7; then
3. update from 0040 to 0042, 0043, 0047, and 0048 using recovery?

n_scott_pearson

No, you are on 32, so no point in step 1. I am saying steps are:

1. Update from 32 to 40 using F7 or iFlash.
  2. Update from 40 to 42 using F7, iFlash or BIOS Recovery.
  3. Update from 42 to 43 using F7, iFlash or BIOS Recovery.
  4. Update from 43 to 47 using F7, iFlash or BIOS Recovery.
  5. Update from 47 to 48 using F7, iFlash or BIOS Recovery.

Steps 2, 3 and/or 4 could be skipped if you do not have these particular BIO files, but definitely use BIOS Recovery for all steps subsequent to the skipped step.

Clear as mud?

...S

voidf_0xb3
Beginner

Well, in my first post I said that when I had failed to make any update from 0032, I had downgraded back to 0014 — just to see if I still could. So I was actually back on 0014, and therefore I actually did have to redo the upgrade to 0032.

But after that, I did what you suggested, and upgraded to 0040, and then to each subsequent version, in order, using F7 rather than recovery. And it worked! I now have a working BIOS 0048. Thank you very much!