Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Intel DZ87KLT-75K BIOS Update For Spectre And Meltdown ?

It's been sometime, news from various publications are reporting that intel is ready with security microcode for spectre and meltdown, I haven't seen any new BIOS for DZ87KLT-75K that addresses this security flaw, when is intel planning to release the BIOS update for the DZ87KLT-75K that addresses the spectre and meltdown ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, the fixes (well, workarounds) for the SpectreA and Meltdown vulnerabilities have to be provided within your operating system (i.e. Windows, Linux, etc.); only the SpectreB vulnerability can be fixed via microcode update.

As for schedule, Intel is still in the process of delivering microcode updates for the most recent processor generations. They are working their way backward as fast as they can (though their schedule had to be completely reset due to instabilities detected in the initial microcode updates delivered).

Once the microcodes is available for the appropriate sets of processors, board manufacturers will be able to build this microcode into BIOS releases for their boards and make them available. For Intel's board and system products, web pages have been established where the schedules for the BIOS updates will be published. These pages are as follows:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026620/mini-pcs.html INTEL-SA-00088 Schedule for Intel NUC, Compute Stick and Compute Card

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026630/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht... INTEL-SA-00088 Schedule for Intel Desktop Boards

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026622/server-products.html INTEL-SA-00088 Schedule for Intel Server Boards, Systems and Accessories

As microcode updates become available, these pages will be updated with the schedule for the delivery of the BIOS updates. Keep watching them for updated information.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

One of the things I am concerned about, Stephen, is that you are running a Haswell refresh processor that is not supported by the bios. I just wonder what will happen when a bios update is available for boards that are running unsupported processors.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Thank you for the information

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

@ Al Hill I think I will be fine, when the new BIOS is released I will post back my findings after installation, there are tools to check if the vulnerability is patched

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If the correct microcode is not available in the BIOS, then none will be loaded. I begged them (really, on my knees; Al was there! ) to include the Haswell Refresh processors in the microcode updates, but I don't have high hopes that this will actually happen.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I was there. I saw and heard him.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

do you guys think working backwards like that will benefit them in + time in long run?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

@ N. Scott Pearson it would be great if Intel listened to you, but we'll see as you say no high hopes, another question : Do you think they might touchup the BIOS and give it a face lift ? ! to look like the visual BIOS for the NUC's like Skull Canyon or Hades Canyon.

Plus maybe they could add more memory compatibility for 2400MHz 1.65V XMP / Manual

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey, they didn't listen to me while I worked there; why would they listen to me now that I am retired? Joking aside, they do respect my customer orientation and do listen to me on certain issues, but that only goes so far.

There is absolutely no chance (none, zip, zero, nada) that they will do anything other than update the microcodes.

Whether the Haswell Refresh microcodes could be included is the only question on the table. Personally, I rather doubt that this will happen, as this would significantly increase the costs for producing and (especially) validating the update.

Bottom line, don't get your hopes up,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

i think the final microcode is out

had an update today from hpe for my gen8 (ivy bridge)

Microcode Update Revision 1Eh

This revision of the System ROM includes the latest revision of the Intel microcode which, in combination with operating system updates, provides mitigation for Variant 2 of the Side Channel Analysis vulnerability, also known as Spectre. The revision of the microcode included in this System ROM does NOT have issues with more frequent reboots and unpredictable system behavior which impacted the previous Intel microcode which was part of the Spectre Variant 2 mitigation. Additional information is available from Intel's Security Exploit Newsroom, https://newsroom.intel.com/press-kits/security-exploits-intel-products/ https://newsroom.intel.com/press-kits/security-exploits-intel-products/.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Remember that you need to watch this page for information on board BIOS/update availability: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026630/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht... INTEL-SA-00088 Schedule for Intel Desktop Boards. A lot has to happen between microcode clearing validation and a BIOS/update being available.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Hi an update was released April 25th 2018 for BIOS version is 0458, I downloaded it and installed it and the DZ87KLT-75K still works and is stable so far protected from the Specter and Meltdown, currently using IME 9.1.37.1002 it's stable been using it since last year and the motherboard works correctly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Good news, Stephen!

Doc

0 Kudos