Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DStit
Beginner

Intel DZ87KLT-75K gives "CPU hot" error fresh out the box

Intel DZ87KLT-75K

Intel i7-4770k 3.5GHZ, 8MB Cache, LGA1150

G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)

Antec HCG M HCG-850M 850W ATX12V

Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Everything is fresh out of the box (or at least sold as new), and with taking precaution measures to prevent ESD I cannot get the motherboard to boot to BIOS. One long continuous beep with the LED "CPU hot" glowing is all I can get from the machine. I cannot find anybody else who is having this problem with the motherboard and CPU fresh out of the box. I have unplugged everything unnecessary to get to BIOS and still no dice. I am wondering if I received a faulty CPU or motherboard, or by chance still ESD prevailed after my precautionary measures. When I had everything else plugged in, the disk drive would open and close, all of the fans worked, the fans to the GPU also worked, but no signal to my monitor from my Graphics Card or motherboard (I tried both). I don't have another motherboard to test the CPU in or another CPU to test the motherboard.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
KBenm
Beginner

I've been having the exact same problem for the last 2 days (mobo + CPU purchased in september):

any advice, Intel?

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi dstitts/ karimB,

I am really to hear you are having problems with your new system but I will do my best to help you out.

It is important to say that most of the times when first installation system is not loading, booting up or affected by overheating problems may by an integration problem; however, there is a change that your processor or board is defective.

Here are some steps I want you to try:

1. Disconnect all components from the motherboard (HDD, power supply, Video Cards, Sound Cards, BIOS jumper, etc…) and leave the system in that state for about 20-30 minutes.
  2. If possible take the system out of the chassis into a non-conducted surface such as glass or wood to discard grounding issues.
  3. Reconnect all components and press the Back to BIOS button located in the Back Panel of the motherboard.
  4. If you access the BIOS, press F9 to load Optimal Defaults. Once it restarts, make sure the Back to BIOS button is off.
  5. In the case that issue persist, test a different cable and make you use a direct connection between the motherboard and the monitor (no video adapters).
  6. Test the RAM memory sticks populating just one slot at the time. By doing this we may diagnose a problem in the memory slots.
  7. If possible test the components in a different system (power supply, processor, memory).

You can check more information related to this issue at this link:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010254.htm?wapkw=(no+boot) http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010254.htm?wapkw=(no+boot)

KBenm
Beginner

Hi Kevin,

thank you for your reply. Please note my system has been running flawlessly in the last 6 months or so, so this is not a fresh out of the box issue for me.

I did everything you said. The motherboard has been taken out of the chassis, every component except the CPU and CPU cooler has been removed. No change. Also tried both RAM sticks separately in each RAM slot. Should I try without the CPU cooler too? (I am using an aftermarket cooler master)

If I boot the system without the BIOS security jumper, then the CPU HOT led doens't flash. However the board seems to be stuck in a boot loop. Sequence: 0014 - dd26 - dd44 - 0021 - 0003 (not sure about the first 0014). And no hdmi video output. So it's the same sequence as when the jumper is there, but without the 0010 before the CPU HOT led flashes.

I will do one last try tomorrow, a friend will lend me his PSU. Just to rule bad powering out, but without much hope.

Can you please explain what does the CPU HOT led mean. If it has to do with cooling, I'll try to use the provided intel cooler to make sure. Also can you indicate if the CPU or mobo is more likely to be at fault? Then I'll also try to switch the cpu cooler with the Intel one as last measure.

KBenm
Beginner

Status update:

Tried with another PSU: same issue

Tried with the stock cooling fan instead of the Cooler Master one: same issue (with both PSUs)

Unless you have a save-the-day idea, both the board and CPUare getting RMA'ed in 36 hours.

I still would like to know under which conditions the CPU HOT led is supposed to be triggered.

Thanks

Karim

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

The CPU hot led should be triggered when the processor overpasses the maximum temperature allowed in the systems. The normal temperature may be from 30 to 45c under normal workload and it can go up to 88c with heavy workload. In the case the processor passes 92C it is considered as overheating and for security purposes the system will automatically shut down.

If you are still having this problem after doing the recommended troubleshooting steps, I would recommend you to contact the Computer Manufacture for a possible product replacement.

KBenm
Beginner

hi Kevin,

thank you for your support. the retailer took the board back for a RMA.

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

You are welcome!

DStit
Beginner

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I was out of town for awhile the day after I posted my problem. I did everything just as you said Kevin and it's working now. Thanks I appreciate it!

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

It is good to hear it is working now.

KBenm
Beginner

lucky you DStitts

kevin I wouldn't mind if you could put some pressure on Intel Switzerland, they have had my board for more than a week now! (not that I think you can do much, but it doesn't hurt to ask )

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

I completely understand your frustration on this situation. My best recommendation is to contact your local support and request for updates.