cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCech
Beginner

Intel Desktop Board DX79SR LED "L"

Good morning -

I'm working on putting together a machine with a DX79SR board and I'm getting a red LED on what appears to be LED "L" "+5 V Standby power indicator" and a error code E6 on the motherboard. I don't see an E6 in the documentation and I'm not sure how to fix the red LED on "L". Can someone help clear this up for me?

Thanks!

Matthew

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, are you sure that it isn't LED K or LED M that you are seeing light up? LED L is the Standby Power indicator, which is a Green LED (not Red) and will be on if the power supply is connected to the board and A/C and is working properly.

• If it is LED K that is coming on, it is typically an indication that there was a problem initializing memory. The BIOS initialized memory but, when attempts were made to use this memory, a bus lockup occurred. The system was (eventually) re-awakened by a watchdog timer event, but could not continue without working memory. At this time, you should also see the front panel Power LED flashing three times. Bottom line, if this is the LED that is lit, you have a problem with your memory and likely need to try a replacement.
  • If it is LED M that is coming on, it is typically an indication that the processor could not be properly initialized. This may be an indication of a bad processor or a problem in the motherboard's support for this processor.

Secondly, are you sure that the value you are seeing is 0xE6? It may actually be value 0xEB (which will look like this "Eb" on the display). 0xE6 is an indication that a failure occurred when it attempted to initialize one of its drivers. Can you provide the sequence of values you saw before this value appeared? If the value is actually 0xEB, this is an indication that a failure occurred while accessing legacy Option ROMs. Do you have any add-in cards installed? This could be a compatibility issue with a graphics card, for example.

We need you to provide us with information regarding the processor and memory being used, as well as information regarding any add-in cards that you have installed. Please provide full part numbers (not descriptions) for all of these devices.

...S

MCech
Beginner

Hello Scott, thank your for your reply. I have swapped out and around memory and the only thing I have left in the case add on wise is a GeForce GTX 1060 card I took a video and a pic of the LED and the boot process. Thank you again for your help.

n_scott_pearson

First of all, I made a few mistakes in what I described earlier (I need to read things fully instead of just quickly glancing at them). POST code 0xEB is an indication that it is executing a Legacy Option ROM, not that an error has occurred while accessing this Option ROM. As well, LED K, while it is used to indicate that a watchdog timeout has occurred, is also used to indicate whether the Back-to-BIOS button has been activated.

So, after looking at the LEDs and looking at the video, what I think is happening is that the BIOS is completing POST successfully and, as a result of the Back-to-BIOS button being activated, is going into BIOS Setup (this is what that final POST code, 0xE9, is telling us).

Now, I presume that you are seeing nothing onscreen (i.e. no BIOS Splash Screen and no BIOS Setup display). What this tells me is that there is likely an incompatibility between the graphics card and the Board/BIOS. There are two experiments you can try:

1. Try installing an older graphics card and see whether that will work.
  2. If this works, go into BIOS Setup, enable UEFI, save the configuration and then shutdown. Then, put the GTX 1060 card back in and see if it will now run.

I have a GigaByte GTX 1060 3GB card and it works great in my 8 Series (DZ87KLT-75K) board (and without requiring that UEFI be enabled). Unfortunately, I don't have any 7 Series boards that I could try testing it with.

Let me know what happens with these tests...

...S

MCech
Beginner

Thank you Scott, that fixed it. Awesome help sir! Machine is booting and I have a display.

Many thanks.

Matthew

n_scott_pearson

What fixed it? Using a different (older) graphics card? Or were you able to get the 1060 working after enabling UEFI?

...S

MCech
Beginner

Well I had to do both actually. You were correct in saying I wasn't getting video, so the first thing I did was put in an older video card. That gave me video and allowed me to get into the BIOS to enable UEFI. Once I did that, I put the newer video card back in and it worked fine.

Thanks,

Matthew

n_scott_pearson

Ok, just don't turn UEFI back off - and make sure you install your O/S in UEFI mode as well.

Enjoy your fully-working system!

...S