Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Intel Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K & Windows 8 PRO 64bit problems...

Hi folks,

Yesterday i have built my new computer.

Specs are : intel dz77ga-70k, core i7 3770, 16gb ram, ssd corsair, ...

I have a problem with windows 8.

It already started when installing windows 8, the computer said : windows will restart in 10 seconds,

after this the computer hanged and did not reboot, i had to reboot myself.

After i had finish the installation i install the latest bios for the board, its number 60. ( it was 21 before )

With the new bios I still have problems with rebooting or shutting down windows 8.

Sometimes it hangs, sometimes not.

Can someone help me please...

Bios is set to default and the only thing i have changed is the xmp-1600 profile for my memory, that works !

UEFI boot is enabled and legacy boot is enabled too ( both were standard enabled )

And sorry for my bad english, i'm from belgium

I think this will be fixed in a new bios version soon, the compatibility with windows 8 isn't that great for the moment.

0 Kudos
64 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

It is a problem with the BIOS, wait for Intel to solve the issues. It only happens in UEFI mode, if you turn off UEFI and install in Legacy mode then it will not freeze.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Okay, thanks for the information.

I will keep on working this way and I hope that intel will fix this problem soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I purchased a new video card, EVGA GTX 660ti and updated it with UEFI firmware. I installed Windows 8 using Secure Boot (Legacy Boot off), at the end of installer it rebooted fine. I restarted 5-6 times in Windows and it did not hang, 2 times it did reboot slowly, took about 5 seconds.

Now i also did this: http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-8-restart-and-shutdown-problems-by-disabling-hybrid-shutdown-featur... Fix Windows 8 Restart and Shutdown Problems by Disabling &# 8220;Hybrid Shutdown&# 8221; Feature - Tweaking with Vishal

Will do some more testing to verify that it does not hang.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@dislikeyou :

I have tried the fix in windows 8 and now it works perfectly !!!!

The computer shuts down perfectly and it reboots perfectly ! I have tried like 10 times and no problems occured.

Thank u very much for this great fix

But intel still needs to fix the bios because when we install windows 8 in uefi we can have the 'hang problem' when the installer says to reboot the computer...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Damn...

When i have tried to shutdown the computer for the 11th time it hanged

But it occurs not that often anymore ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hmmm but with the second fix ( the one with disabledynamictick ) is everything ok for the moment...

There is a serious problem with windows 8...

I let u know if its fixen now...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Good if it works. I have not used the disabledynamictick fix yet but for me it did not hang so far, sometimes it takes 1-3 seconds to restart/shut down, but some other times it takes 30 seconds or more, i did not have to use the Power button shut down, which is good. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The second fix still works for me man

The computer shuts down correctly.

I hope in the next bios update we see in the release notes : full win8 support

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I still have the problem

Any sugestions, please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

When i restart or shut down i get this error DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

For me it works except that it sometime takes 20-30 seconds to restart/shutdown.

I have not disabled fast startup and i have not used the dynamictic trick.

Why it still hangs for you, i don't know. Are you booting in UEFI mode?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

No, I don't boot in UEFI mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I've searched for this error, and I found, on Microsoft website, that is caused by a driver. I have updated all drivers from Intel website, but the error persists.

I've used Windows 8 32bit for one week and i had no problems. After I've installed Windows 8 64bit I've started to encounter this error, even when I installed the OS, at the fierst restart my computer freezed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

So my windows 8 worked for me perfectly after i dit the 2nd fix (disable dynamictick).

Yesterday there were 2 updates of windows 8 after i activated the windows...

I installed the updates and after those 2 updates i'm having the same problems as before ...

I re-entered the dynamictick thing but the problems weren't away

I re-installed windows 8 in legacy boot (disabled uefi) and the problems weren't gone, it hangs when i choose to

restart or to shut down the computer.

So i installed Windows 7 and this works perfectly !!!!

I don't understand it anymore, i think we all have to wait for a bios update that works perfectly with win8.

I will use win7 now and when all the problems are gone i will re-install win8

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

@dislikyou :

When i installed this morning win8 : legacy boot was enabled and uefi boot was disabled...

Do i have to disable the legacy boot too for having no problems with shutting down win8???

Anyway i will keep on using win7 for a while now....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I have only UEFI boot turned ON, Legacy Boot is OFF. But i have a UEFI graphics card.

Maybe that is why it does not hang for me, because i have Legacy Boot turned off.

If you want to try, you can enable IGP, enable UEFI boot and turn off Legacy Boot, install Windows 8 and see if the problem still exist. Connect the monitor to IGP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I will now continue working with win7 for a while, i will wait for a new bios update and then install win8 again.

@dislikeyou : Normally win8 must work with uefi boot & legacy boot both enabled ??

Can u explain to me what the difference is between both?

I don't quite understand...

I now one think it doesn't work right now

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Yes, normally it should work with both enabled.

When you turn off Legacy Mode, then it runs with only UEFI firmware, there is no BIOS emulation.

I'm not sure when Intel will fix it, maybe it will take several months :/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I'm sorry! It apears that I was wrong. I've searched in my bios, and were both enabled Legacy boot and UEFI. I've disabled Legacy boot but the PC hadn't boot. It said that it hadn't found any hard disk. It's normal? Should I reinstall Windows to be able to boot in UEFI mode properly?

Now I've disabled UEFI and enabled Legacy boot again. This time it boot.

Thank you!

0 Kudos