Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DHom
Novice

Intel HD graphics causing high CPU utilization

Using the DH61AG motherboard onboard graphics with the latest Intel drivers, Task Manager showed unusually high CPU usage (up to 30%) by System (NT Kernel & System) when watching movies. I tried this without the onboard graphics and CPU utilization went down to roughly 0 for System. Using Process Explorer, I've tracked it down to ntoskml.exe!WheaAttemptPhysicalPageOffline+0x350 and dxgmms1.sys. I believe this is the Intel graphics driver making a DirectX call to page system memory. If there is a way to fix this or if I have to wait for a driver release please let me know.

Tags (1)
73 Replies
Miguel_C_Old
Employee

Hello Dhom,

You are using embedded graphics on your processor. So it is normal to experience a higher usage of the processor when you are watching videos.

Could you please send me the processor model and the brand name and model of the RAM that you have?

jyava
Beginner

Has this problem been addressed? I've got a G3258 and a G3220 that cannot play certain flash videos full screen because ntoskml.exe!WheaAttemptPhysicalPageOffline+0x350 and dxgmms1.sys are eating up the CPU cycles, bringing the CPU to 100%. I've duplicated this problem on another system with a second gen i7 mobile, but I got that one to work by reverting back to old drivers. There are no old drivers for the Haswell HD graphics, so please fix this!

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may try the drivers listed below or download a different version from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3719 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3719

jyava
Beginner

Can confirm that this issue still exists. Unwatchable streams no video on certain sites. Only affects newer (3rd generation) Intel processors. My 2nd Gen Intel processors work fine (using older drivers, as the newer drivers introduce the issue). I'm not sure why this hasn't been fixed and why there aren't more reports of it.

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Can you indicate the driver versions for second generation Intel® Core Processors that seem to be causing this issue and the ones that do not?

Please provide the DxDiag report for both systems, second and third generation Intel® Core processors. (Press Windows* key + R key, type "dxdiag", press OK and then click "Save All Information")

JFry2
Beginner

I am also seeing this issue. I have a laptop with an i7-3520M -- this laptop also has an nVidia NVS5200M.

These threads in 'system' are taking too much cpu. Constantly 30-45% ! This makes this machine incredibly slow!

ntoskrnl.exe!WheaAttemptPhysicalPageOffline+0x350

dxgmms1.sys!VidMmInterface+0x2667c

I am using driver versions:

For Intel HD Graphics: 15.33.32.64.4061

For nVidia: 296.79

JX4
Beginner

I have similar issues and have figured out some details.

The Cpu-usage of "ntoskml.exe!WheaAttemptPhysicalPageOffline+0x350" goes up when i move Firefox to my second screen (~1-2%). When i start a video on youtube (HTML5) the usage goes up again (~20%). When i move the window with the video to my first screen the usage goes down to ~0.1% even while playing a video. With flash the usage is higher but its the same thing with the second screen.

I have a i5-3210M with the graphics driver 15.33.32.64.4061.

JFry2
Beginner

Intel: You guys need to fix this. There IS AN ISSUE HERE. I can guarantee that plenty of Intel employees are experiencing this very issue on their company laptops, yet many users probably just don't notice. Put Process Hacker on peoples machines and LOOK!

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Did this work properly before with a different graphics driver version? If yes, do you remember the version used?

JFry2
Beginner

I was also experiencing the issue on an older version of the Intel drivers. I updated the drivers to try to resolve the issue. I am not 100% sure what the previous version was, but looking through the installer log files, it looks like it was 9.18.10.3071 ..?

I *THINK* the problem may have started after I was in the bios, and re-set my TPM, and then had to re-enroll my fingerprints.

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Does this only happen with streaming videos? I was not able to replicate the issue when playing a video from the SSD; the CPU usage was around 5%.

I installed Process Hacker but found no trace of such process, do I need to enable something in the software?

JX4
Beginner

I'm sorry. I just checked the process again and is called "ntoskRNl.exe". The combinationation of the letters rn looked like an m. And I know that i experienced the problem with older driver versions but I haven't used the second screen for a while so I dont know which versions I had.

When I watch videos with VLC or WMP everything is fine.

Edit: When I open a Yotube-Video on my first screen and have the VLC-player with a stopped video open on my second the screen the usage is higher again (~5%) Starting the VLC video does not change anything but starting the Yotube-Video lets the usage rise to 15-20%. The numbers only count the usage of ntoskrnl.exe.

JFry2
Beginner

No, it happens randomly, you don't have to be watching any streaming videos, but it seems that having lots of open browser windows/tabs typically causes it. Of course, right now my pc is not having the problem, (right when I want to take some screenshots!) So I will poke around at it for a sec and see what I can find out.

JFry2
Beginner

Ok, I have been a bit busy but I can now share some screenshots:

I noticed the web site www.vr-zone.com sometimes causes the issue. Now, it is normal for the system process to perk up while rendering a web page or something, but the issue is where it doesnt go back down, even when the screen is static, etc.

Here is a shot of normal activity:

As you can see the system is mostly idle, and 'System' is taking less than 1%.

Here is what it's like when it is occurring:

Also note the 'Total CPU Time" for 'System' is very high, indicating that this happens quite often. You can see that it is more than double the system idle time!

If I look at the properties of that process, I can see this:

Here we can see the offending threads.

I am not sure what else I can do at this point.

Thanks,

JFry2
Beginner

SO, Any news on this?

I, along with many other people are actively waiting....

ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ extide, We are investigating the issue and will post updates to this thread as we know more.

Thanks

Robert

JFry2
Beginner

Excellent!! Thank you!

Attached is DxDiag info

ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ extide

Could you post the specs of the memory in your system/?

Thanks

Robert

JFry2
Beginner

Yes, I have 16GB (2x8GB) of Crucial DDR3-1866

See details in screenshots, and also attached is full report output from CPU-Z

See running timings here:

Detail for Slot# 1:

Detail for Slot# 2:

RTerz
Beginner

Seeing the same problem here. Lenovo T530 laptop with HD Graphics 4000 and Nvidia NVS 5400M. Windows 7 64 bit. 16 GB memory.

The high system cpu usage occurs when Firefox or Google Chrome is on the 2nd monitor. Moving them off the 2nd monitor to the primary laptop screen makes the CPU usage drop back to normal. The problem doesn't always start right away. The problem with Google Chrome occurs particularly when in full screen mode. I can reduce the CPU usage and still leave chrome on the 2nd monitor if I take it out of full screen.

Graphic Driver Versions.

• Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 9.17.10.2843 08/21/2012
  • NVidia NVS 5400M - 9.18.13.1269 10/28/2013

Thanks for any help.