Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Intel INF Drivers not being properly read by Windows 10 2004

Intel Chipset INF drivers are not showing up correctly in new Windows 10 2004 update. I recently did a clean install on my 970 EVO Plus drive. I used drivers from ASRock website for my motherboard model, was not connected to internet for driver installation and certain drivers in device manager, identified by the chipset INF driver, are saying "No drivers are installed for this device." Some of those specific INF drivers are saying "Driver Provider: Intel, Driver Date: 7/18/1968"? The system is functioning but certain games I play will not load at all and some others crash or even BSOD. Not sure if the weird INF Driver issue is causing my games to do this. Not sure if Windows 10 is not reading drivers or if the INF file is out dated. Searched on Intel website for Z390 Chipset INF drivers but no listed compatible drivers for Z390 Chipset except Intel ME drivers are available. Also not sure if this is a ASRock motherboard, Intel Driver or Windows 10 2004 problem. So this issue was sent to all 3 companies! Please help me remedy this issue. My hardware is not that old, not like it's Windows 7 on a Intel Sandy bridge platform. Even those platforms I'm still seeing support for though!? Like I said earlier, Intel Z390 on their website is practically non-existent and I also noticed on the ASRock website that the Z390 Extreme4 motherboard I have is not listed under Z390 motherboards general listings. Again, I would appreciate some support seeing as this Z390 platform is still being sold, 8th and 9th gen Intel processors are still being sold. Intel is still making money. Maybe none are being manufactured anymore because of the newer platforms on the market but I'm not buying brand new just to have support. Intel INF utility supports all the way back to Z170, why is Z390 not supported on Intel's website when all of these other Skylake Architecture based platforms are? Even Z370 is supported which is basically the same thing as Z390!? I would love some proper support, drivers and software though if my motherboard manufacturer has stopped updating their site. We all would...Attached files show the issues I'm having.
7 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Hey, did you figure this out? I currently have the same issue with this chipset.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Download the latest Chipset Device Software (INF Update) package and,
1. Extract ZIP file to temp. folder.
2. Open DOS or PowerShell Window.
3. Make temp. folder current.
4. Execute command ".\SetupChipset.exe /overall".
5. Reboot.
6. Delete temp. folder.
7. Test.
Hope this helps,
...S
Highlighted
Beginner

I forgot to mention I'm at 1709 which is not officially supported! Any drivers for this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

No I haven't yet but even a friend of mine noticed this same issue on his Z390 Asus Prime A mobo with a i7 9700k. This is a brand new motherboard and CPU with fresh install of Windows 10 2004. We put it together 2 nights ago. I may try @n_scott_pearson suggested script in Windows PowerShell.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Note the following:

1. The INF Update (Chipset Device Software) package does not install any drivers. The drivers are built into Windows 10. The INF Update package optimally configures these drivers for the chipset present.
  2. It is perfectly normal to see chipset devices without drivers installed for them. The INF Update package resolves these entries so that you do not see any yellow bangs in Device Manager. Drivers for interfaces such as the SPI Bus and the SMBus are installed dynamically as necessary.
  3. Ignore the date-time fields. Intel uses these fields to store information other than dates and times.

Bottom line, I do not see any issues anywhere in what you have reported. None of this has anything to do with the problems that you are seeing.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

That still doesn't explain why the Z390 Chipset is barely recognized by Intel on their own site for that matter. And I understand that INF Utility and motherboard specific INF Drivers that you install are just to help Windows 10/other OS's identify the hardware in your system. I'm not sure if it's "perfectly normal" to have chipset devices without drivers either. I had a i5 2500k on a Asus P8Z77-V PRO using Windows 7 back in the day. "No drivers are installed for this device." message on that platform would not turn out good...Like I said in my initial post, the system is running I just wasn't sure if the driver issues had anything to do with games not working properly on my system. That's why I further investigated and posted in here because Intel doesn't really make it easy to contact their support...Regardless I still have an issue with why the Intel Z390 platform isn't supported MORE on their own support site. The very similar Z370 chipset has more support than the more expensive Z390. At least the INF Utility is offered to the Z370 and other chipsets that are older...I just feel like, I'm sure I'm not alone, that even though I've been a long time Intel fan like others out there. Multiple Intel Pentiums, Intel Core i5 2500K, i7 6700K, i7 8700K and i9 9900K are what I owned or still using from Intel...They just stopped caring about us average or enthusiast consumers. I'm sure their server customers are getting support and trips to Belize paid for by Intel LOL. I'm rambling now haha

0 Kudos
Highlighted

There have always been cases of devices being resolved without a driver being installed. Intel does not, for example, supply a generic SMBus driver. When Windows 7 was introduced, folks complained about the yellow bang being seen in DM. Intel's solution was to resolve the entry without installing a driver. Applications (like AIDA64, SpeedFan, HWiNFO64, etc.) that need to access the SMBus will load a private driver for the duration of their instantiation. Same goes for the SPI bus. Intel does not want every Tom, **bleep** and Harry browsing this bus, so it too is resolved without installing a driver. Specific apps that need access to this bus will similarly load a private driver for the duration of their instantiation.

Re: "Intel doesn't really make it easy to contact their support" - What baloney! Intel publishes phone numbers for practically every country in the world. They also have had these forums (in one form or another) for a great many years (I have been using it for more ~14 years).

What do you mean by 'supported more'? The documentation for the Z390 is as rich and supported as it is for any other chipset. I will admit that they keep making it harder and harder to find the datasheets - but when you do find your way there (which is as simple as asking), the datasheets for all of the chipsets are there.

Yes, you rambled right down into the absolute drivel there.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos