Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11358 Discussions

Intel Management Engine Interface Driver failure

Richardkingsman
Beginner

I'm running a Dell XPS 8300 with a Core i7-2300, Windows 10 Home 64bit. On occasion, my computer shuts down by itself. The event viewer shows several errors on MEIx64, notably that the driver failed to handshake with firmware. (FWSTS0: 0x00304181, FWSTS1: 0x153B0000). After trying several times, the system disables MEI. 

I've reset Windows twice, and did a fresh install as I migrated to an SSD a few months ago. I also updated the BIOS to the most recent version available for my system. There's also an issue of Intel MEI not being supported when I try to install or update through software downloaded on Intel's website. 

My computer takes an exceptionally long time to boot, especially since it's on an SSD, and with only two startup programs. I'm assuming MEI has a part in this delay, so if anyone can help me with this problem I'd be very appreciative. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tr00don
Beginner

You and I have the same problem: the last BIOS version that Dell released for the XPS-8300 is A06, dated 2012, and apparently it's not fully compatible with the updated IME components in the OS. Dell don't support Windows 10 on this machine, which I can understand from a business perspective, but Microsoft forced us to upgrade and we had no choice. The "driver failed to handshake with firmware" situation has been here for a while, with no apparent major impact on the system. Recently however, people have started noticing random/unexpected reboots from sleep, likely related to Event ID 137 ("The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance.") I guess this is the industry's way of telling us to upgrade the hardware or else, which I am not willing to do yet as my PC is extremely fast and, although more than 10 years old, only about half slower than the best desktops on the market. It's probably just a matter of time before it completely fails due to planned obsolescence.