Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11358 Discussions

Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller hangs keyboard and mouse

SgUser2020
Beginner

Hi Intel Community helpful people,

I have downloaded the usb controller driver for windows 7 64 bit. I have attached a picture to show exactly what I have downloaded. However, the keyboard and mouse stop working (no led light) and don't response. I took my computer to a PC repair shop and the repairer install it for me successfully. He said I need a PS2keyboard to install the driver as the driver will hang the usb keyboard and mouse. Can intel provide me a more friendly driver to install? I don't have a legacy PS2 keyboard and it is not easily available in the market. Even if it is available, I find it silly to purchase it just for installing the usb controller driver.

The pc repair shop told me that in the event I need to reinstall windows 7 and reinstall the driver again, I will still encounter this problem.

Please assist and provide me a hassle free driver for windows 7 64 bit which can be fully installed using usb keyboard and mouse.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Windows 7 has been discontinued for a while now and Intel no longer provides support for it. The USB drivers that you have are what is available; there will be nothing else. You really should be upgrading to Windows 10. Did you know that you can use your Windows 7 license keys to install Windows 10? You can.

There used to be instructions in a number of places that documented how you could insert the USB drivers into the Windows 7 installation image (using DISM) so that they would be available during the installation process. You can find these by googling for "add usb drivers to Windows 7 installation image". 

Hope that helps,

...S

SgUser2020
Beginner

I din know that now still can free upgrade to windows 10 as microsoft website already stated that the free upgrade period is over. I am not that expert in IT and unaware of DISM. However I am not sure whether using DISM will hang my keyboard and mouse. I will try on this weekend as I am just a normal user. If indeed it works, thumb up to you.