Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
11435 Discussions

Intel X79 DX79SI - Updated BIOS - NOW - NO VIDEO!

brovito
Beginner

The bootime of this bios was extremely long, almost like fastboot was not enabled, however it was. This is where i went wrong, i thought by updating the bios it would fix my issues, yet after doing so, i now have no video output what so ever:

NO Onboard graphics card

I've tried a series of AMD / NVidia graphics cards with no signal

Reset the CMOS battery and jumpers to go back to factory BIOS settings and still no output

I am unable to ping or RDP to this machine (knowing the IP that the dhcp scope was giving it) otherwise i would have tried to fix it over RDP

i'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out my issue

Intel DX79SI

CPU I7-3820

16 GB RAM

GPUs: Tried all 4 of these in different PCI slots, NO SIGNAL

NVidia 300

NVidia 315

AMD Radeon r5 340X

HIS ATI Radeon HD5450

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You need to use the BIOS Recovery process. To help you better, here are my step-by-step instructions for BIOS Recovery:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, download the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install (I have attached the final BIOS release).
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Best not to use USB 3.0 flash drives (most are not compatible). It is also best if you use a flash drive that has an access LED that you can watch.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Select to install the FAT32 file system (NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  10. NOTE: Remember the pins that this jumper was plugged onto; you will need this information later.
  11. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue or yellow USB 3.0 port. Do not use any front panel USB ports.
  12. Power on the system.
  13. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  14. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  15. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so.
  16. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  17. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  18. Power on the board.
  19. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see the BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  20. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  21. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  22. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  23. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  24. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  25. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  26. Test.

Here are some additional thoughts:

• If BIOS Recovery will not start, try using a different USB port. You can try the USB 3.0 ports on the back panel as well.
  • If switching USB ports didn't work, try using a different USB flash drive.
  • As always, best to use USB flash drive that has an access LED so you can visually see if it is accessed.
  • If you are seeing USB flash drive being accessed but BIOS Recovery does not start, a common cause is compatibility with the memory present. The BIOS Recovery engine, as it is with USB 3.0 flash drives, can be very picky with regards to memory compatibility. Try removing all but one DIMM/SODIMM.
  • For more information on the BIOS Recovery process, consult Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

20 Replies
n_scott_pearson

Before anything else, do not use the Fast Boot feature. It is more of a pain in the a$$ than anything else.

Have you tried using the Back-to-BIOS button on the pack panel of the board? Press the button and then power on. This will (ok, should) boot into BIOS Setup completely ignoring the BIOS configuration.

Hope this helps,

...S

brovito
Beginner

I really appreciate your reply, however I've tried that option as well as BIOS jumper on pins 2/3 and again i get no video at all. PC sounds like it's booting, fans, power LEDs and all other lights are operating as normal.  I've tried multiple monitors, different types of cables from DVI, VGA, HDMI and Display port, no video.

Even though the PC appears to be booting (Passes POST) i do not even receive a mac address form the NIC on my switch

The Bios corrupt, how do you recover a corrupt bios ?

n_scott_pearson

You need to use the BIOS Recovery process. To help you better, here are my step-by-step instructions for BIOS Recovery:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, download the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install (I have attached the final BIOS release).
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Best not to use USB 3.0 flash drives (most are not compatible). It is also best if you use a flash drive that has an access LED that you can watch.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Select to install the FAT32 file system (NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  10. NOTE: Remember the pins that this jumper was plugged onto; you will need this information later.
  11. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue or yellow USB 3.0 port. Do not use any front panel USB ports.
  12. Power on the system.
  13. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  14. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  15. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so.
  16. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  17. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  18. Power on the board.
  19. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see the BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  20. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  21. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  22. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  23. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  24. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  25. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  26. Test.

Here are some additional thoughts:

• If BIOS Recovery will not start, try using a different USB port. You can try the USB 3.0 ports on the back panel as well.
  • If switching USB ports didn't work, try using a different USB flash drive.
  • As always, best to use USB flash drive that has an access LED so you can visually see if it is accessed.
  • If you are seeing USB flash drive being accessed but BIOS Recovery does not start, a common cause is compatibility with the memory present. The BIOS Recovery engine, as it is with USB 3.0 flash drives, can be very picky with regards to memory compatibility. Try removing all but one DIMM/SODIMM.
  • For more information on the BIOS Recovery process, consult Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions.

Hope this helps,

...S

brovito
Beginner

Awesome, thank you Scott for this detailed process. Formatting drive now and downloaded the .BIO file. 

"NOTE: If you do not see a progress
report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15
minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed
without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete,
just in case. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be
asked to power off the system."

Since i have no display at all i will wait 30 minutes and power her off and provide results. I really appreciate your help!

brovito
Beginner

Hey Scott,

The two differences from your instructions and my current scenario:

1> No Video at all, unable to see what the motherboard is doing

2> my USB - i have a 2.0 and 3.0 but no LED indicator

I've now attempted your process 4 times and still no video, let me break them down to prove i followed the steps correctly:

USB 2.0 (Formatted Fat32, NOT QUICK) In a USB 2.0 port with the "Sl0650P.bio" on the root of the drive

1> Plugged in USB, removed Jumper and booted. after about 20 minutes i heard the motherboard reboot. Waited a total of 30 minutes, turned off PWSupply, put jumper back on pins 1&2 (original) and NO VIDEO

2> I followed the exact steps in step 1, however this time i put the "Back to BIOS" button on so it was illuminating RED. Never saw or heard the MOBO reboot like in step 1 above. Waited a total of 30 minutes, turned off PWSupply, put jumper back opn pins 1&2 (original) and NO VIDEO

USB 3.0 (Formatted Fat32, NOT QUICK) In a USB 3.0 port with the "Sl0650P.bio" on the root of the drive

3> Plugged in USB, removed Jumper and booted. after about 20 minutes i heard the motherboard reboot. Waited a total of 30 minutes, turned off PWSupply, put jumper back on pins 1&2 (original) and NO VIDEO

4> I followed the exact steps in step 3, however this time i put the "Back to BIOS" button on so it was illuminating RED. Never saw or heard the MOBO reboot like in steps 1&3 above.. Waited a total of 30 minutes, turned off PWSupply, put jumper back on pins 1&2 (original) and NO VIDEO

n_scott_pearson

Sounds like board is definitely off in the weeds somewhere. From BIOS Recovery process it will *never* reboot on its own (it always stops and waits for you to unplug power).

What are you seeing happening on the 'board status' diagnostic LEDs? What about the POST Code display? Can you take video of what happens when to LEDs and POST Code display when you (a) connect A/C to power supply and (b) press power button on board?

...S

brovito
Beginner

MY MAN!

After my frustration 2 days i order 3 USB sticks with an LED indicator so i can see if the PC is reading the drive. Thjey came today, so i followed the Steps again for the USB2.0 and instantly saw a different light pattern and Display on the motherboard. After 12 minutes. my screen turned on to a flickering underscore! Put the pin back in and boom, video and OS booted right up. 

I cant tell you how much i appreciate your help, patience and guidance on this. This PC is a gift for an Aunt and i thought i royally screwed it up.

So again Scott, thanks again for your help. you saved me!

n_scott_pearson
Glad it worked out.
...S
mkfriends
Beginner

Hi Scott, I have a similar problem except that it is a DX79TO board.

Problem description:

I have been running an i7-3960x CPU on an Intel DX79TO motherboard for a year without any issues. Problem occurred two weeks ago when I migrated the motherboard to a new housing case and replaced the CPU with i7-3930k. During the transition, the board battery was taken out for a few days and replaced with a new one. The BIOS was in version SIO650P.

Upon power up, the system gives no beep nor video display and the system seems to run in a loop. Revert back to the 3960x CPU did not solve the problem and the system gives the same fault as follows:

A. The board status LEDs show the followings:

LED K is in red, flashing

LED F is in long green

LED G flashes green and goes out and repeats the pattern

The Port 80h POST codes show the following sequence and repeats indefinitely:

bF, 2b, E4, 60, 00, 0b, b0, b1, b7, b9 then repeats from the beginning.

B. Further tests and results are as followings:

1. No memory stick, no graphic card ---- 3 long beeps, pause and then repeats

2. With memory stick, no graphic card – no beep, status LEDs and POST code sequence as in A.

3. Change the BIOS configuration jumper from 1-2 to 2-3, same result as in A except LED K is off.

4. Try to recover the BIOS by removing BIOS jumper and insert an USB formatted in FAT32 and with the SIO650P.BIO file, the Port 80h gives another sequence:

2b, 31, 33, 34, 60, 00, 0b, b0, b1, b7, b9, then repeats from the beginning for more than 60 minutes.

In item B4 above, I followed your steps to the letter except that I did not have a USB drive with LED indicator.

Would greatly appreciate your help to fix my problem.

mkfriends
Beginner

@brovito 

What USB drives have you acquired?    Thanks.

brovito
Beginner

I bought the cheapest POS USB i could find on amazon with an LED Indicator

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085KX399R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, make sure you ONLY INCLUDE the .bio file and nothing else on the drive 

n_scott_pearson

Did you format the USB flash drive with Quick Format disabled? This is an absolute must.

What specific USB flash drives have you tried? Full model numbers please.

What else to you have connected to the board? At this point, you want nothing connected other than monitor (connected to add-in graphics card) and the USB flash disk. Disconnect everything else and try again.

...S

mkfriends
Beginner

Thanks very much to Scott's and Brovito's responses.

The following USBs were tested and all were format to FAT32 with Quick Format Disabled, under Windows 10 Pro.

#1  Adata C008 (8GB size)

#2  Alcor Micro Mass Storage Generic Flash Disk (4GB size)

#3 VendorCo Product Code Disk 2.0 Generic Flash (16G size)

The USB contained only the SIO650P.BIO file.  But there is a System Volume Information folder which I cannot delete.

As before, when I tried to recover the BIOS with the above USBs, the POST code sequence repeat itself with the following pattern

2b, 31, 33, 34, 60, 00, 0b, b0, b7, b9

USB #3 has a LED indicator, it flashed during code 31,33,34 and turned off during the other codes.

The system is equipped with one memory stick (Corsair Vengeance 4G) and a Nvidia 750Ti graphic card and only the VGA port is used.

n_scott_pearson

Looking at sequence #4, I would say it doesn't like the USB flash drive.

...S

mkfriends
Beginner

I share the feeling that there are some weird interactions between the system and the USB.   Also, I read elsewhere that I may need a bootable USB.  Any idea?

mkfriends
Beginner

No Luck.

I created a bootable USB using the following commands under the command prompt but the system still ran in the loop.

> DISKPART

List Disk

Select Disk

Clean

Convert MBR

Create Partition Primary

Select Partiton

Format FS=FAT32

Active

>Exit

n_scott_pearson

Making it bootable won't help at all. No, most of the time, it is purely a case of the BIOS Recovery engine, because of limited space for it within the firmware hub, not having the benefit of the USB compatibility workarounds of the main BIOS, Windows drivers, etc. Many USB devices skimp (i.e., provide only a subset of the functions) in their ATAPI support, making compatibility a bigger issue than is needs to be.

All that said, the fact that you've tried three different sticks is leaning away from this being the issue. It is looking like you damaged or zapped something during the process of moving the board to the new chassis. This happens, even to us so-called (in our own minds anyway) 'experts'. Yes, it has even happened to me. What to try? Hhmmm... POST Code sequence is pointing to USB device not being physically recognized. One possibility is USB engine in chipset affected. Since separate IC is necessary for USB 3.0 support, try using one of the USB 3.0 connectors.

...S

n_scott_pearson

Wait a minute... Sequence 2b, 31, 33, 34 is a crisis recovery from a memory issue. A known problem in the board BIOSs is that, if a memory issue occurs during certain operations - BIOS Update and BIOS Recovery included - the operations are sometimes 'forgotten'. So, what is going on with memory? Have you reseated the memory since you moved the board to the new chassis? If not, remove the DIMMs and then reinsert a single DIMM into Slot 0-0 (Blue slot closest to processor socket) and then attempt to do BIOS Recovery. If successful, you can reinsert the other DIMM(s) then. Also, make sure that the Back-to-BIOS button on the back panel is disengaged while attempting BIOS Recovery.

...S

mkfriends
Beginner

Hi Scott, I thank you very much for your continuous support.  Very much appreciated.

I have also tried a fourth USB (SanDisk Cruzer Switch 8GB) with failure result.

I have now ordered the USBs acquired by Brovito to test but it will take some time to reach me.  I have also redeployed the CPU for other use so please bear with me if I do not respond with any more progress for some time.

Since you touch the memory issue, I would like to provide more observation of the system responses to see whether you can come up with more ideas:

1.  If I inserted an empty USB, i.e. a formatted USB without the .BIO file, the system stopped at code b7 and issued 3 beeps, pause and then repeat.  This beep pattern is a memory fault.  (but is this main memory or CMOS memory or something else?)

2.  The system seems to be able to detect the USB and read the directory, so I tried to format the USB with Windows 7 instead of Windows 10 Pro to get rid of the System Volume Information folder.  But the result was still a failure withe same sequence pattern 2b, 31.....

3.  I even tried to format to FAT16 (in addition to FAT32) but still had no luck.

4.  I tried single memory stick (Corsair Vengeance 4GB and Kington 2GB) and result was no good.  Before the failure, the system used 4 x 4GB sticks of Kingston XMP).  The system issued no memory error upon power up and before the recovery process.

The board seems to be a very early version.  The BIOS chip is not soldered to the board, but sit in a socket and bolted to the PCB.  I attached a picture of it here to see whether there is any hint.

Thanks very much for your help.

n_scott_pearson

By the numbers,

1. It is for main memory. The CMOS memory is not used for anything (BIOS configuration is stored in flash part instead) other than its reset signalling that the BIOS should boot with fully-defaulted configuration.
  2. The important thing is to format on Windows with Quick Format disabled. This overcomes an issue caused by the Linux-based engines used for bulk low-level formatting of the flash components in the factory. After that, all that matters is to have only a single .BIO file in the root directory of the flash disk. I always tell folks to have only the one .BIO file on the flash disk, but, to be honest, I keep a subfolder full of other .BIO files (and a whole lot more) on my recovery flash disk.
  3. You can use FAT or FAT32. It is VFAT (especially) and exFAT that are not handled well. As much as they argue it is, the FAT32 produced by Linux and MacOS is NOT 100% compatible. There's no one left from the boards group at Intel that has time to investigate why this is, unfortunately (believe me, I have tried - I know where they live (literally) and I am a good nag!).
  4. If the flash component is socketed, then there's a good chance that this board is a Pre-Production (Press Kit) or Engineering Sample board and should never have been sold to you (if the processor come with it, then it is likely a PP or ES as well). Send me - via PM, not here! - the information off the board's main sticker (which has Serial Number and then AA Number on it).

...S