Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Intel pch h57 MB RAM compatibility

Hi, i have an Intel pch h57 MB, just wanna to know if its compatible with ddr3 8gb 1333 memories, or what type of memories can support!!! Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

I would like to know what is your computer model? Also, the processor model, please bear in mind the memory controller hub is part of the processor, with that information we will be able to pull out memory configuration.

Allan.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks for answer!!! I have an Dell Studio XPS 8100, here I send you the information from the support assist software:

MotherboardManufacturerDell Inc.Product0T568RChipsetIntel PCH H57ePPIDCN0T568R736049CQ01V8BIOSVendorDell Inc.Release Date07/08/2010BIOS Version StringA05ROM Size8.00 MBSMBIOSVersion2.6Controladora RAID SATA de Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express ChipsetInterfacePCILocationPCI bus 0, device 31, function 2TypeRAID ControllerClass01h:04h:00hPCI Identification<td class="section_device...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

The short answer to your question is no, 8GB DIMMs are not supported by this processor.

The Intel Core i5-650 processor's memory controller is capable of supporting only 1Gb and 2Gb DRAM technologies and thus is limited to 4GB DIMMs and a maximum of 16GB (2 memory channels X 2 DIMMs per channel).

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Oh... but instead the 8 Gb memory, I can replace the 1Gb memories installed with 3x4Gb memories to reach the limit of 16Gb right? Thanks again for your help!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Just in case that wasn't a typo, I will restate - You can replace all of the DIMMs that you currently have with four 4GB DIMMs, provided that these DIMMs all utilize 2Gb memory technology and that these DIMMs have identical specifications (i.e. same voltage (1.5V), same wait-states, etc.). Many DIMM manufacturers offer packages containing matched pairs of DIMMs; there are always a good idea. I also recommend that you purchase native 1333MHz DIMMs; you may have compatibility issues with faster DIMMs.

The usual caveats apply. While I can answer for the Intel Desktop Board products, there may be other or differing requirements for boards produced by other manufacturers. You should check their website for more information...

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If you can find a package providing four matched DIMMs, this is even better...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Scott has provided great information, you need to check with your Dell for supported memory configuration.

Processor specs linked below and attach to this thread.

http://ark.intel.com/products/43546/Intel-Core-i5-650-Processor-4M-Cache-3_20-GHz http://ark.intel.com/products/43546/Intel-Core-i5-650-Processor-4M-Cache-3_20-GHz

Allan.
0 Kudos