Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amous3
New Contributor I

Is Intel SMBus associated with Desktop Utilities?

Jump to solution

I used to have Desktop Utilities installed on my PCs, but I got tired of the icon being screwed up after certain system changes -- the most recent was simply copying a song onto the system -- not to mention the extra time it requires on start-up. So I uninstalled it. Then I looked at the list of installed Intel programs and saw Intel SMBus. Is this associated with Desktop Utilities, in other words, can I uninstall it with no impact? Or is it essential for other Intel functionality?

The systems are DH67CL, i5-2500K, running VIRTU with ASUS video card, Windows 7 Pro with all updates.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Community Manager

Hi baroque-quest!

You may remove the additional Intel SMBus entry - it was generated bei the IDU stuff.

If you restart your machine, the devicemanager will show an item with an exclamation. It is the SMBus Controller. Now just install the latest Intel Chipset INF Driver or the Intel MEI drivers.

SMBus driver is back again an no additionally entry in the softwarelist is available anymore.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi baroque-quest!

You may remove the additional Intel SMBus entry - it was generated bei the IDU stuff.

If you restart your machine, the devicemanager will show an item with an exclamation. It is the SMBus Controller. Now just install the latest Intel Chipset INF Driver or the Intel MEI drivers.

SMBus driver is back again an no additionally entry in the softwarelist is available anymore.

View solution in original post

amous3
New Contributor I

Okay, I uninstalled Intel SMBus. After a reboot, Device Manager did indeed show an unknown device. I downloaded the chipset driver and installed it. The unknown device is gone. Thanks for the answer.