Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TPost8
Beginner

Is it possible to get the DZ77RE-75K Extreme desktop board to boot to a GPT disk?

I am trying to install Windows 10 on such a disk. Upon boot I am informed that the device cannot be booted in legacy mode. I do have UEFI boot enabled in BIOS.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did you select UEFI boot on your w10 install media when you tried to install?

In the boot menu, select UEFI for your boot media. THen, when installing W10, select CUSTOM, and delete all partitions on the disk when you want to install W10. If you have any data on that disk, save it before you do this.

Doc

TPost8
Beginner

I installed from a USB device made with Rufus. I used the following settings but with a newer version of Rufus so the options were laid out a bit differently.

rufus_uefi.png

AlHill
Super User

So, did W10 install in UEFI mode and create a GPT disk?

Doc

TPost8
Beginner

It's a GPT disk. But when the computer tries to boot it stops and tells me that I can't boot the device in legacy mode. I was wondering if this MB might be too old to support what I am trying to do.

I just downloaded the latest Rufus. I'll give it another shot and see what happens. I'll let you know what happens, and thank you.

AlHill
Super User

No, the motherboard will install in uefi mode with a gpt disk just fine.

I know the following procedure is for a NUC, but follow it EXACTLY.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Icw2bSAB/problems-with-microsoft-supplied-windows-10-i...

Report back.

Doc

TPost8
Beginner

That is the exact procedure I have been using with the exception of Rufus. I downloaded the Microsoft tool. We'll see what happens.

TPost8
Beginner

I guess I have to wave the white flag on this one. Nothing I can do will get the drive to boot after initial installation.

I have tried to go into diskpart and command prompt to fix the boot sector. (/fixboot) Access denied.

I notice that when I go into the boot menu on startup I see two entries for the USB device - Sandisk and UEFI Sandisk. If I choose Sandisk it does an MBR installation and it works. If I choose the UEFI option it makes a GPT disk but chokes when trying to boot to it. I have occasionally gotten a "winload.exe" error.

I also notice that I never see the hard drive flagged "UEFI" in boot menu. Should I see that?

AlHill
Super User

"I also notice that I never see the hard drive flagged "UEFI" in boot menu. Should I see that?"

If you followed my procedure, and deleted all the partitions on the hardrive where you were to install Windows 10, then, YES.

Doc

TPost8
Beginner

Yes, I deleted all partitions. I'm doing everything correctly and it won't work. I'm wondering if a BIOS update would help. Any idea where I can find one?

AlHill
Super User

Step 3 says you should. What is your current bios?

Doc

TPost8
Beginner

It has whatever it shipped with. I have never updated it. That has to be it. As a test I installed Win10 on my other desktop which has a similar Asus mb. No problems. I can't seem to find the BIOS software anywhere. If Intel still has it available they are doing a good job of hiding it.

AlHill
Super User

As per the announcement in this desktop boards forum, support files for Desktop boards are no longer available from the Intel site.

The latest bios is GA0066.BIO. I have attached it in ZIP format.

You will need to install it via the recovery bios process.

Install it using Scott's instructions here:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004VhEOFSA3/how-to-upgrade-dz75ml45k-bios-from-0006-to-00...

For your reading enjoyment, you can find the bios release notes here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191119131616/https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22828/BIOS-Upda...

Doc

TPost8
Beginner

That did it Al. Thank you very much. It really had me scratching my head.
AlHill
Super User

Glad you have it working.

Doc