Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Is the DH61CR mobo compatible with RX570?

Hi folks, newbie here.

I recently bought a new RX570 4GB for my home PC, but with it installed and plugged in to the PSU, the OS does not boot up. I even set up the Integrated Graphics as primary in the BIOS, but it still won't work if the GPU is installed, so the problem is not simply video output.

I made contact with AMD support and they told me to confirm with Intel that my mobo is compatible with this graphics card. The following link says it is, but I needed a more reliable info.

https://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/ATI/R-500_Series/Radeon_RX_570_4GB/3875/Compatible_Motherboards

Here are my specs:

Mother board: DH61CRBR

Processor: i5 2400

RAM: 8GB DDR3

PSU: Corsair VS500

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

A better way to ask this "Is the RX570 compatible with DH61CR"?

If you set integrated graphics as primary, the card will never work. It is one, or the other. With the RX570 installed, you want the integraded to NOT be primary.

Your board was made in 2011. When was the graphics card made? SHouldn't the graphics card be backward compatible? The board, in 2011, had no idea what the future would bring.

Now, what bios version do you have?

Are you booting legacy, or UEFI?

Is your disk MBR or GPT?

WHat version of W10? 1909?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I was asking the question AMD support told me to ask.

And it was implied, but I set the integrated graphics primary AFTER the RX570 did not work, to be sure if the problem with the PC was simply the video output or not.

What I am saying is if the card is installed Windows won't boot even if configured to use the integrated graphics.

BIOS version: BEH6110H.86A.0020.2011.0218.1538

UEFI is disabled, as the picture shows.

IMG_20200417_133643079.jpg

Disk is MBR.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

First, WINDOWS 7 is DEAD.

Second, I suggest your update your bios to 0120. I have attached it to this thread. You are very far behind on the bios. If you want to have any chance of making this work, update the bios.

Third, I have seen newer graphics cards NOT support legacy boot. You may need to switch to UEFI boot. But, to do this you have to first convert from MBR to GPT. Easily done with MBR2GPT. Search the web for the procedure. Once done with that, on the reboot you need to go into the bios and select UEFI boot.

Do all of this without the new graphics card.

Once done, install the card. This will disable the onboard graphics. You should be able to boot, but maybe not. It all depends on the card now.

And, you really should consider converting to Windows 10. You can still do so, FOR FREE.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the suggestions. I started by the easiest one and am already on Windows 10.

I downloaded the BIOS file you attached and tried to update pressing F7 on boot, but when selecting the file, I get error message "Capsule Header Invalid", as the picture shows.IMG_20200418_170249747.jpg

I searched a little and found out that I can't jump from the version I have directly to the latest one, and should update one by one.

But the files don't exist here in Intel's DH61CR page anymore, do you know where I can get them?

Another thing I learned is that there is an option to update the BIOS via Windows, with ".exe" files; are those easy to find as well?

I am assuming I can leave the MBR2GPT conversion to be done after this update, right? Right before setting boot to UEFI.

PS: my HDD has 2TB split into two 1TB partitions, would this be a problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

To install the bios I attached above, use Scott's recovery procedure here. Follow it EXACTLY. Do not dismiss or omit any steps.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004VhEOFSA3/how-to-upgrade-dz75ml45k-bios-from-0006-to-00...

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Well, Scott says I have to remove the yellow jumper and then put it back after the recovery. But it seems I have no yellow jumper here...

IMG_20200419_143031066.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry, I looked at the wrong place.

But the procedure didn't work, anyway. Followed it until step 19, when he tells to stop if the version did not install.

My monitor didn't show anything when bootted up without the yelllow jumper and with the flash drive plugged in a port in the back of the mobo, as he mentions on step 13, so I waited 20 minutes, instead of the suggested 15.

Tried with 2 different flash drives (4 and 8GB, FAT32 formatted - non quickly), using 4 different USB ports.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I managed to get the RX570 running, the problem really was the BIOS.

BUT, the version I had, 0020, didn't allow me to jump directly to the most recent one, and more: didn't allow F7 Update or even Recovery update.

As Intel dropped support and deleted all BIOS versions for it, I had to search the net for it, an found all of them on this page:

https://pt.pcdrivers.guru/intel-desktop-board-dh61cr

There I found the only update option that worked on my version, the .exe files. I updated version by version until I got to version 0099, that freezes on BIOS options screen and does not boot Windows. At this point I had to follow the recommended Scott's procedure to jump to version 0116, as in the link given by Al.Hill:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004VhEOFSA3/how-to-upgrade-dz75ml45k-bios-from-0006-to-00...

I jumped to version 0116 because on this link they mention that version 0120 - the latest one - has some problems that 0116 doesn't.

https://kb.stonegroup.co.uk/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=267

So, when I was on 0116, I tried installing the RX570 again and it worked, finally. The good thing is that I didn't need to change boot to UEFI, so that was one less step to take (two, in fact, because didn't need to convert the HD).

After all this, here are my final specs:

Mother board: DH61CRBR

BIOS version: BEH6110H.86A.0116.2013.0610.1000

Processor: i5 2400

RAM: 8 GB DDR3

GPU: RX570 4GB

Thanks for the help, Al.Hill.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

bro..you saved my dh61cr's life....ive followed your tut...now i can pair my mobo with my rx470.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

hi, i have a same motherboards and same graphic card strix rx 570, Should I just update with the .exe files or do the .bio files exist?

my motherboard is dh61crb3.

thanks for the info

0 Kudos