Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jan
Beginner

Is there a special USB port on the DZ87KLT-75 motherboard for audio?

I have connected my music system to my computer using one of the regular USB ports. I am not getting music. My audio chain looks like this:

Computer > via USB cable > Berkeley Alpha USB > Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC > Amplifier > Speakers

I can’t seem to find a USB port dedicated to music on the Intel motherboard hence my decision to use one of the many regular USB ports. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

There is no special usb port on the KLT board.

On the rear of the board, there are two yellow (high current) usb 2.0 ports and six blue usb 3.0 ports. The on-board headers provide nothing "special"; just usb2.0 and usb 3.0.

Doc

Jan
Beginner

I thought as much, so thanks very much for the confirmation. Looks like I’ll have to look elsewhere for the reason I’m getting no audio.

Jan

AlHill
Super User

The KLT is a very good board. I have three and have had as many as five.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I too am a lover of of the Kinsley board (I have two).

I think what you need to do to get this to work is to configure the Berkeley Alpha device to be the default sound output device.

Hope this helps,

...S

Jan
Beginner

Nope, it’s not the driver for the Berkeley Alpha USB. Windows tells me “The best driver software for your device is already installed,”

n_scott_pearson

Drivers? Who said anything about drivers? I said make the device the default sound output device. This means opening up the sound mixer and setting the Berkeley Alpha to be the default.

...S

Jan
Beginner

I have responded earlier but that message is “under review”. It would make sense if you had seen the earlier message.

I sure don’t know why something I wrote should be under review. I had mentioned that I had already gone to control panel and set the Berkeley Audio USB as default, though inexplicably, it classed it as “speakers” instead of whatever it is. So I mentioned that perhaps I needed to make sure the drivers had been properly installed. Then I posted that message and THEN I looked at the situation with it’s drivers. Windows said they were properly installed and I followed up by reporting that.

So I still don’t know what the problem is. I don’t have much a talent anymore for technical mysteries so this is frustrating.

n_scott_pearson

According to what I can find, support for this device is limited to Windows 7. I do not see any drivers being available for Windows 8 or later. Are you using Windows 7?

...S

Jan
Beginner

I am using a dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10. No driver needed for Windows 10, but I never go there so I haven’t tried it.

The Win7 drivers must be installed in Compatibility mode but I was unable to engage that so installed without.'

. I couldn’t find that option when I downloaded and ran the setup for the driver. Hmmm, I think I should go back and review that! Also, first I need to boot to Windows 10 and see if it is working okay there.

Here is the documentation excerpt covering Win7:

“Right click on the driver’s setup.exe icon, select Properties from the contextual menu then click on the Compatibility tab. In the Compatibility section, select the Run this program in compatibility mode for: check box and select Windows 7 from the drop-down list. Click on the OK button and then run setup.exe.”

n_scott_pearson

That's not covering Windows 7 usage; it is talking about running the driver installer in Windows 7 compatibility mode on some later version of Windows. This doesn't tell me anything, unfortunately.

...S