cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EH2
Beginner

Issue with Extreme Tuning Utility - Tuning capability is gone

Hi,

I have i7-2600k with a DP67BG board. I have this system for several years and I have been always using Intel's extreme tuning utility to overclock my system successfully.

Recently I have formatted my PC and upgraded my windows to WIN10 x64. Now when installing the Tuning Utility I don't see any of the features that were present before. In fact, the tool offers almost no option to do any overclocking at all !!!

Here's an example:

Previously it looked like this:

As you can see I could overwrite every PLL multiplier and DDR configuration.

(The image is taken from Intels overclocking manual for this motherboard - http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19482/eng/DP67BG_PerfTuningGuide01.pdf http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19482/eng/DP67BG_PerfTuningGuide01.pdf )

Now it looks like this:

I can only change the boost voltage.

Please help me resolve this issue,

Evgy

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Did you upgrade your BIOS? If you did, this would explain it.

The 3rd generation Core processors do not support the same set of capabilities for overclocking that the 2nd generation Core processors did. If you upgrade the BIOS on an 6 Series Intel Desktop Board beyond the point where support for 3rd generation Core processors was added, you will lose those overclocking capabilities that are not (also) supported by 3rd generation Core processors.

Just so you know, once you upgrade the board's firmware to add support for 3rd generation Core processors, you cannot downgrade it back to a version that only supports 2nd generation Core processors; this is a one-way operation.

...S

EH2
Beginner

Thanks for your fast response Scott

Yes, it seems that I have the latest BIOS version for my board (from 17.07.2012).

Can you recommend me on a way to overclock my system? Are all the parameters open for configuration in the BIOS?

Thanks,

Evgy

n_scott_pearson

I am not sure what's available. I don't overclock. If my processor doesn't run fast enough on its own, I upgrade to a newer one.

...S

EH2
Beginner

Thanks Scott, you should try to overclock someday, it's fun

For those who will read this post in the future: Yes, overclocking through the BIOS works properly.

The BIOS offers two overclocking options:

1. Automatic: CPU overclock up to 4.5 GHz and no DDR overclock.

2. Manual: You do as you please.

But it seems to me that the Extreme Tuning Utility doesn't work well when going above 4.5 GHz

Evgy

RConr
Beginner

Hello.

I have an overclocking issue.

I am using a DP67Bg board with a 3570K but the overclocking options is greyed out in bios aswell as in XTU.

I have tried multiple bios versions and no luck.

Can someone please help

AMart70
Beginner

Hi all,

I've got a used DP67BG to overclock an i5-2500K, but ran into some problems - it looks like new bios versions don't support multiplier changing at all. This functionality is greyed out in both BIOS and XTU. More than that, when I try to overclock with FSB rate - the CPU frequency doesn't change!

So my question is - how do I downgrade to a proper BIOS correctly? I've found a version which was reportedly fine for overclocking a K-version of i5, but it's blacklisted already so I cannot update it in a regular way.

I was thinking of two possibilities:

1. Flashing an old BIOS with a JTAG programmator (sounds pretty dangerous for me).
  2. Changing the version number somehow - so the old version is considered to be new and get flashed with standard tools. But I'd need some BIOS editing tool for that, right? I know there are some for AMIBIOS - I've done new microcode setup for P5K-E board. But is there something similar for Intel boards?

Please help, I'd really like to overclock that 2500K baby!

n_scott_pearson

Once a 6-Series Intel Desktop Board has been upgraded to a version of the BIOS that supports 3rd generation processors, the overclocking "knobs" will be restricted to those in common between the 2nd and 3rd generation processors. At the same time, because the Management Engine firmware has to be upgraded to support the 3rd generation processors, you cannot downgrade the BIOS to the older versions that supported only 2nd generation processors.

Flashing a BIOS via JTAG programmer is not possible. Due to security concerns, Intel does not provide BIOS releases in formats supported by these programmers. In addition, the tools needed to "brand" the BIOS are not provided outside of Intel. Copying the flash image from another identical board is not recommended because the "branding" would also be copied. This would result in two boards with identical Serial Numbers, UUIDs, MAC Addresses, etc. Again, the tools needed to change this branding are not provided outside of Intel.

Despite the fact that many of the 6 Series boards utilize an AMIBIOS core, additional security is being used that will prevent most of the standard AMI BIOS update tools from being used with these boards.

Sorry, but this is the reality of the situation,

...S

AMart70
Beginner

Thank you for a reply, looks like I better switch to another motherboard