cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

LGA 2011-3 & LGA 2066 Socket dimensions

Hey there,

I'm new to the Intel community so allow me to welcome myself!

Anyway, I'm going to upgrade from an AMD FX-9590 to an Intel Core i7-7820X and the water cooler I use (which is a Corsair H110i) supports the LGA 2011-3 Socket. My question is will I able to use this very cooler with the newer LGA 2066 socket?

Cheers,

Gregory.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Are you saying that you want to salvage your cooler, which is meant for a socket which holds the AMD processor, and use it on another motherboard with an Intel socket?

If so, unless the manufacturer of cooler has provided adapter plates/mounts, the answer is not very likely.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

My CPU cooler supports multiple sockets both from AMD and Intel and in Intel's case it supports the following sockets: LGA 1150, LGA 1151, LGA 1155, LGA 1156, LGA 1366, LGA 2011, and LGA 2011-3. My question is if I use the LGA 2011-3 adapter, will it still fit on the LGA 2066 socket?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I cannot answer that. I would check with the manufacturer of the cooler. Since they did not explicitly state LGA2066, I would say no.

The question is do you want to risk a cooling issue or a fit issue, or warranty issue on a new motherboard and processor? Just get a cooler that is made for the socket and enjoy your warranty.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Are the LGA 2011-3 and LGA 2066 not the same size? I looked around online but I couldn't find too much information on that. From what I understand the only difference between the two sockets is the pin count, which makes sense as the LGA 2066 socket has 2066 pins and the LGA 2011 one has 2011 pins. All I need to know is whether or not these two sockets have the exact same dimensions or not.

I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear in my earlier posts by the way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

It does not matter if they are the same size sockets. What does matter is the mounting around the socket.

Verify with the cooler manufacturer. I suspect it will not fit. If it did, the cooler manufacturer would state such.

Provide the manufacturer name and cooler model number.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Oh okay. My water cooler is a Corsair Hydro Series H110i. I shall check Corsair's website and come back afterwards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the heads up. The website says it should fit without a hassle. Silly me, making a question of this when I could have just checked the website first. Anyway, thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks, Doc!

0 Kudos