Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KJohn39
Beginner

Last Official Released BIOS for Intel DP965LT Motherboard

I missed the boat... Intel has pulled all the BIOS files on 11/22/2019. . I am running Bios Version 1761 from 03/26/2009 on a DP965LT MB. Was there a newer version before Intel pulled them from their site? If so, can someone share the link?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

1761 is the last bios produced for that board.

Doc

KJohn39
Beginner

I swapped out the Wolfdale E6600 3.06Ghz CPU (which ran Windows 7 64 Bit just fine ) for a E6550 2.33Ghz CPU and now I can upgrade to Windows 10. Before I was getting error (CompareExchange128) on this DP965LT and CPU combo....Yea!

AlHill
Super User

Well, do not party yet. The E6550 is not supported on your board.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006065/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht...

And, from what you are describing, you may have had the wrong E6600. The 2.4Ghz was supported, not the 3.06Ghz.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=30783,27250,42807

A processor must be socket, chipset, and BIOS compatible. With the E6550, you do not meet those guidelines.

Do not be surprised if you experience errors, now or later.

Doc

KJohn39
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

Any idea why the original CPU I tried, the E6600 , was giving me the CompareExchange128 error message when trying to run the Windows 10 Media Tool?

The E6600 shows to be on the approved list unless the CPU has a fault in it...

I got further into the upgrade to 10 with the E6550 installed but I got error code 0xC1900101-0x30017 in the first boot phase of the upgrade.

I'll look to see if I have a 2.4GHZ Core2Duo laying around to try.

AlHill
Super User

The supported processor list shows E6600 2.4Ghz . You were using E6600 3.06Ghz. They are two different CPUs.

And, you probably should look at this as well:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006870/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.ht...

Doc

KJohn39
Beginner

Installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit on this Intel E6550 CPU/8GB DDR2 /256GB SSD and it's been stable for hours. The only driver I am having trouble locating is the one for the PCI SIMPLE COMMUNICATIONS CONTROLLER.

Do you happen to know which Intel Management Drivers would work and the link?

Thanks so much in advance!

AlHill
Super User

You can ignore that device. Scott may have a solution.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If you're going to spend the money upgrading the processor, why didn't you go for a (quad-core) Q6700? eBay shows all sorts available and in same price range (i.e. less than US$20). While the E6600 has a higher Core clock rate, yielding a slight, 1.1x performance advantage on single-threaded tasks, the Q6700 has a 1.5x performance advantage on multi-threaded tasks and a 1.2x performance advantage on blended tasks.

...S

KJohn39
Beginner

A lot of those CPU's on eBay are in Hong Kong or China which is fine but time is of the essence here and although inexpensive, this is a case of if it's working fine, leave it alone...

PC has been stable now with Windows 10 Home 64 bit now for over a day so just going to use it as is.

Thanks for the suggestion though...

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The PCI Simple Communications Controller device facilitates communications between the main processor and the Intel Management Engine. Having this device remain unresolved will not cause an problems. Resolving this device requires a driver, but no standard driver was provided back then.

That said, a driver for this device, specifically for use with Intel's Desktop Board products, was included in the Intel Desktop Utilities package. Intel Desktop Utilities is a software application that provides you with the means to monitor system temperatures, voltages, fan speeds and hard drive health. Intel does not support the download of Intel Desktop Utilities any longer, but there are sites that still host the package. If you decide you want to go this route, you want to specifically search for "Intel Desktop Utilities 3.2.8". You do not want any previous version of this package.

...S

KJohn39
Beginner

Found it immediately, downloaded, installed and off to the races. Took care of the PCI SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER device driver issue and as you know, the icon it creates on the desktop offers a broad spectrum of info about the PC and it's workings.

Thanks!