Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LS41
Beginner

MB DX79 SI: Is it possible to have a second graphics card in PCI-E-Slot "D" (last/5th Slot from Top)

Hello,

I've installed my new graphics card (GTX970) - as recommended - in the first PCI-E-Slot (named "I" in the Product Guide). Because of space issues I've installed my old graphics card (GTX570) to the last PCI-E slot, named "D" in the Product Guide. Although the fans are rotating and the card is getting warm the old card is not recognized by the BIOS. Is the third PCI-E-Slot not suitable for a graphics card? Or is there another problem? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The third x16 (actually only x8) PCIe slot is indeed usable for a graphics card. Are you connecting the two boards together with an SLI bridge connector? I am unsure that two independent graphics cards will work otherwise...

...S

LS41
Beginner

After I've checked once again all connections (4th time) everything works flawless. It was obviously my fault. Sorry.

By the way: To have two different graphics card in a system (without sli/crossfire) works - until now - without any problem. Even driver installation was easy. The nvidia-package installed both drivers in one go.

Anyway, thanks for your answer and sorry for your effort.