cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMarc23
Beginner

Mainboard DP67BG not detect HD 7970 graphic

Hi

I´ve installed the graphicscard "Club 3D Radeon HD 7970 XT2 '13Series" and my system will not boot anymore.

My old card, HD 7870, is working fine!

So please help me! What´s the problem and how can i fix it?

The Bios is the latest (2209). The Power-Supply is BeQuiet Pure Power 630w and i´ve attached both powercables (6pin + 8pin)

The Mainboard gives me the POST-Code "E6" on LED-Display and then it stops booting and freezes at Intel-Boot-Logo.

Is there any possibillity to make the card work on this board? Let me know!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, likely no possibility. You are trying to combine a relatively new card with a very old board (5 generations and 6 years out of date). There are both hardware (PCIe 2.0 vs. PCi 3.0) and software (UEFI driver) issues that will prevent this from working. If you really need the graphics performance, you likely need the processor and board performance too; time to upgrade...

Hope this helps,

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello @evil_pappe,

I agree with Scott, is not likely to work. Bear in mind that you have Legacy Intel® Desktop Board, and the support is limited to the drivers and BIOS updates found here; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/50244/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP67BG Downloads for Intel® Desktop Board DP67BG. My recommendation in this case is to follow the specification for the graphics that can be found here http://ark.intel.com/products/50244/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP67BG Intel® Desktop Board DP67BG Specifications.

Regards,

Amy.

MMarc23
Beginner

But the HD 7970 is not PCIe 3.0 (!?) I think its just PCIe 1.1.

And the board will support Gen. 3.0 - is written in the specifications.

Ok. Thank you. So its possible that every graphicscard after 2012 will not run on my board?

n_scott_pearson

No, sorry, it is definitely a PCIe 3.0 card. Check specs here: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/7000/7900 AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 Series Graphics Cards.

...S

MMarc23
Beginner

So every newer or PCIe3.0-Card will not work on this board?

idata
Community Manager

This a matter of compatibility between the components although both support PCIe 3.0 you might still have compatibility issues, especially in your case where your motherboard is too old for the Club graphics card.

Regards,

Amy.

n_scott_pearson

Well, many of the cards out there claim backwards compatibility for PCIe 2.0 (which your board has), but few of the more recent ones actually work in these boards. I am of the opinion that BIOS compatibility issues are more likely to be the reason for the failures. We'll never know; since Intel exited the boards business some time ago, there are no BIOS engineers left who could investigate this...

...S

MMarc23
Beginner

Ok. I will try another card.

But thats the last time i use an Intel-Board!!! This really sucks!

I´ve never heard about problems like that!

Oh man...

AlHill
Super User

Your board is more than five years old: http://ark.intel.com/products/50244/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP67BG Intel® Desktop Board DP67BG Specifications

Five years ago, the board did not know what cards would exist in the future.

Today, your graphics card manufacturer knew about your five year old board.

The card manufacturer is in a position to correct their firmware. You need to convince them that it is worth their time to make certain that their current-day card is backward compatible with all PCIe 2.0, and all older boards (from all manufacturers).

Or, you could help yourself by upgrading to more current hardware. It is the same issue for those with cell phones who get a new phone every year - to stay up-to-date.

Doc

n_scott_pearson

I have to echo Doc's comments. This is more the graphics card's fault than the motherboard. The graphics card's vendor is the one that removed the hardware and software (Video BIOS) backwards compatibility. They are the ones that said it wasn't worth their while to support these older motherboards.

...S

MMarc23
Beginner

The Board was released in ´11 and Bios-Updates came until ´07/12.

The Graphic was released in ´12.

So it´s of course by the manufacturer of the board to get the thing running.

Any other boardmanufacturer supports his products more than 1(!) year.

By the Way; a Sapphire HD 7970 DualX is not working too.

I will buy another board - never Intel-Mainboard again!!!

idata
Community Manager

I apologize for any inconvenience, and of course we respect your decision on getting a different motherboard.

If there is something else I can help you with, please let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

MMarc23
Beginner

Thank you, but the only thing you can help me with is to get a HD 7970 running!

I´ve got enough mainboards (but the first intel) in my life but this is the worst thing i´ve experienced.

"to buy a PCIe-graphic wich will not work in a PCIe-Slot"

Enough now, i still annoy myself because of that.

n_scott_pearson

To your specific comments, when the HD7970 was first released has absolutely no bearing. You have to ask yourself when your board was actually manufactured and thus what the pedigree of the included Video BIOS is. I am sure it's a few generations ahead of the BIOS on the BG board and this is likely where the incompatibility is coming from.

Regardless, the whole discussion is moot. Once a board is past both its EOIS and EOL dates, that's it; there is no further support and no more investigation of issues or updating of its BIOS. As well, since Intel is no longer in the desktop boards business and hasn't been for a couple of years now, there's no one left to could do so.

Sorry, this is the reality of the situation...

...S