Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Max ECC memory config in DX79TO with E5-2690.

Jump to solution

Thinking about buying cheap ECC ram on eBay to expand to 64 or 128GB.

I run an E5-2690 in a Intel DX79TO motherboard. The page says the mobo supports ECC memory and up to 64GB, but only says it supports 4GB sticks? The board has 8 slots, for 64GB of RAM I would have to use 8GB sticks.. what's up with that?

1: Does the board support more than 64GB of RAM because of the Xeon I have running in it? 

2: Does it support bigger than 4GB sticks?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee
  1. No, 64GB is the limit. While larger DIMMs might now exist, the Memory Reference Code (MRC) present in the BIOS only supports 8GB (and smaller) DIMMs.
  2. Yes, it supports 8GB DIMMs. You were misreading the specification. It was saying that it supports 4Gb (note that's gigabit (Gb), not gigabyte(GB)) memory technology. A double-sided DIMM using 4Gb memory technology can still provide 8GB of memory.

Hope this explains it,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Interesting. I do not see the e5-2690 on the compatibility list for your board.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee
  1. No, 64GB is the limit. While larger DIMMs might now exist, the Memory Reference Code (MRC) present in the BIOS only supports 8GB (and smaller) DIMMs.
  2. Yes, it supports 8GB DIMMs. You were misreading the specification. It was saying that it supports 4Gb (note that's gigabit (Gb), not gigabyte(GB)) memory technology. A double-sided DIMM using 4Gb memory technology can still provide 8GB of memory.

Hope this explains it,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I know. Got it for about 40 USD on eBay and just had to try it. No problems so far and is better than the 3930k I was running for video encoding.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

You're right, I totally misread that! Guess I'll go with 8pcs of 8GB 1600MHz REG ECC then. They go for about 17.5 USD on eBay for a single stick.

Thanks for the fast reply!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi, this is a very old thread but I am very interested in buying memory for my system also.

Exact same as yourself, DX79TO with a E5-2680, looking to buy 8x 8GB of ECC memory . . . can you tell me exactly what memory you went for? Did it work?

DDR3-12800R? 2XR4 or 2XR8?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Why do you think you need ecc memory?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I don't need ECC memory, but because it is less common in the consumer space and thus more redily available, it is much cheaper. Companys are going to rotate their servers when they reach EOL which leaves many ECC modules for sale.

In the other thread I was speaking to you, basic DDR3 non-ECC 1.5v 8GB modules are roughly $40 (in the Crucial website link you provided) . . . but . . . low voltage DDR3L ECC memory from old servers/workstations are $10.

If my motherboard supports ECC memory, might aswel take advantage of the cheaper option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Good luck with your project.

Doc

0 Kudos