Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PChok1
Beginner

Meltdown / Spectre updates for Intel Motherboards?

I have an older motherboard (DP55KG) that I bought from Intel (Built the computer myself). Will and how is Intel going to distribute BIOS, microcode, etc. fixes for Meltdown / Spectre? I have already applied various OS fixes, but they don't fix everything. Will there eventually be a tool and download to get these updates?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

pjc123: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® communities. We will do our best to provide the information you are looking for.

In regard to your inquiry about updates and for full details on this topic please refer to this Intel public website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/facts-about-side-channel-analysi...

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

PChok1
Beginner

@Alberto R. I understand that it is early in Intel's response to these issues, but from the links you provided:

1) "End users and systems administrators should check with their operating system vendors and system manufacturers, and apply any updates as soon as they are available."

It is a motherboard. You are the "System Manufacturer and Vendor".

2) The CEO of Intel points out: "For Intel CPUs introduced in the past five years, we expect to issue updates for more than 90 percent of them within a week, the remainder by the end of January. We will continue to issue updates for other products thereafter".

My motherboard is older than 5 years (10 years old). Does "We will continue to issue updates for other products thereafter" mean that a patch will eventually be provided for my motherboard / processor? This is still a very capable motherboard and processor (DP55KG / i7-860), in fact it is way faster than a brand new laptop that I just bought (granted that has a low voltage version with less cores), so I still use the desktop combination most of the time.
idata
Community Manager

pjc123: Thank you for providing those details.

We will review this information, if there is more information regarding this matter I will update the thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

kjone6
Beginner

I am a System Admin running HP ProLiant Servers using Xeon CPU E5-2643 0 - 3.30 Ghz and CPU E5-f4617 0 2.99 Ghz Processors. When will an update be available for processors we currently have?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, eventually. You will need to get them through HP, not Intel, however.

...S

idata
Community Manager

pjc123: I sent you a private message, please verify your inbox.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

idata
Community Manager

pjc123: I just received an update on this subject and it is possible that some microcode updates will not be included in the download. Some microcode patches can only be delivered via BIOS update, that is why we recommend checking directly with your system manufacturer and OS provided updates.

Regards,

Alberto R

WBasl
Beginner

MY Motherboard is a Dh87MC and I am also interested in how to get a fix for Spectre.