Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Memory clock speeds with DZ77GA-70K

I recently purchased an Intel DZ77GA-70K motherboard along with an Intel Core i7 3770 processor and Kingston KHX24C11T3K2/16X memory module. The memory module is DDR3-2400 RAM.

Unfortunately, I can only configure the motherboard to run the memory clock speed at 1333 Mhz. I get three motherboard beep sounds (and the computer will not start up) If I change the clock speed to any speed above 1333 Mhz. Why can't I adjust the RAM clock speed above 1333 Mhz? Did I needlessly purchase an expensive memory module that is capable of 2400 Mhz when I should have just purchased one that maxes out at 1333 Mhz?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RMoor7
New Contributor I

BIOS upgrade to 0060 or above may solve your problem.

Reference the BIOS version 0060 update release notes.

idata
Community Manager

Thanks for the info. Actually, my motherboard is currently using version 0060 (11/15/2012). I can upgrade to 0061 and see what happens...

RMoor7
New Contributor I

The only other suggestion I have is to review the DZ77GA-70k Performance Tuning Guide.

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/dz77ga70k_dz77re75k_perftuningguide01.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/dz77ga70k_dz77re75k_perftuningguide01.pdf

I used a memory that supports XMP profiles (1866 MHz) and the memory profile shows up in the BIOS Performance Memory Profiles - drop-down menu.

However there is a caution that using memory voltages over 1.5 may reduce processor life!

idata
Community Manager

I've gone into the Visual BIOS and changed the memory profiles:

Advanced Setup > Performance > Memory > Performance Memory

I tried two profiles:

Profile 1: XMP-2400 - When I started in this profile, it gave me the following error message:

"BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempts. Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS performance options or recent changes."

When I try profile 2 (XMP-2133), the screen goes blank and I cannot see anything on screen. I cannot tell if anything has loaded - nor do I see the Intel startup screen (with F2/F7/F10 options).

BTW, I am also using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. So I'm still wondering what I need to do.