Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ECD2
Beginner

Method to Update MEI?

I need to update the Intel Management Engine Driver in my bios from 7.1.60.1193 to 8.1.0.1252.

I have run the Exe file for 1252 and it gave me the setup is complete screen and then rebooted.

I was expecting a completed screen after the reboot, but it never appeared.

I do have a listing in Programs & Features for IME 1252 with a install date of 9/5/2015.

When I use F2 on boot and look at the System Information, it still has MEI at 7.1.60.1193.

Since the download file for 1252 is an exe file, it would appear that executing this file is the proper way to do the install.

Obviously I haven't done it right, since the bios did not update!

Can someone provide me instruction on how to do this properly?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Did you run it "As Administrator"?

ECD2
Beginner

Yes, I ran it "As Administrator".

What did I miss?

n_scott_pearson

I always ask the dumb ("What could I screw up?") questions first.

I am not sure you missed anything; I will need to try it myself and see what happens...

...S

ECD2
Beginner

I have tried running it in "Safe Mode", both with minimal services and without, but it will not complete due to missing services.

I had an older version 8.1.0.1248 that I tried, but no change with that either.

I am running a multi boot system, if that makes any difference. I always go back to the boot drive where I ran it though.

I recall doing this type of upgrade a long time ago, but no problem then.

Has upgrading to version 8 been problematic?

Is there an alternate way to do it?

ECD2
Beginner

More info:

MB - DH67GD

AA - AAG10206-206 - 3rd Gen-Capable

BIOS - BLH6710H.86A-0160 - Latest - 3rd Gen Ready

I even tried it at the CMD as administrator with the -overall switch setting, but it didn't like the switch setting.

I need to upgrade to a Version 8 so I can upgrade my processor.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

n_scott_pearson

It may not update UNTIL you upgrade the processor.

...S

ECD2
Beginner

I installed the new processor, E3-1290v2 from a i7-2600K, and the BIOS gave me a message that i needed to upgrade to version 8.

At that point it would not go any further.

That is how I found out I needed to go to version 8.

ECD2
Beginner

Ok, back to start! I will walk you through my logic.

Here is the message that appeared when I tried to boot with the E3-1290v2 installed:

Pressing Return to continue did not work. Only choice was to power off.

Here is the link shown above:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-033076.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-033076.htm

Here is the table for my motherboard:

Yes this is my version. My BIOS is at 0160.

Please review the flowchart on the link above and verify I have read it correctly. My logic is in red.

I end up at the box that says to use the Recovery Update method to update the board to the 3rd Gen-Ready BIOS version.

Here are the problems I see in the flowchart logic:

1. I am already at firmware version 0160. 0160 is later than 0151 so 0160 should be 3rd Gen-Ready.
  2. The Recovery Update method uses BIO files, not EXE files. The MEI update file is an EXE file.

The flowchart seems to indicate that upgrading the BIOS will take care of upgrading the MEI, but if that is the case then why do they offer MEI files separately?

Hope this triggers a light bulb somewhere!

n_scott_pearson

LOL! We'll, it is pretty simple. You need an update to the ME firmware, not (just) the MEI!

Go into BIOS Setup, scroll down to Additional System Information and press . At the bottom of the display (you may have to scroll down) it should display the ME firmware version. It is likely not the correct version. Correcting it requires that you install (or reinstall) the latest BIOS using the Recovery Method.

...S

ECD2
Beginner

Yes, I am trying to upgrade the ME firmware.

I didn't realize the Exe file would not update the ME firmware.

Seems strange when that is what i used to update to 0160.

I used the Recovery Method with the file BL0160.BIO.

I tried it on the USB 2.0 port, but it didn't read it.

I burned it to a CD and tried it and it seemed to read it.

The activity light flashed for a period of time.

I waited over 10 minutes and it never shutdown or displayed anything on the monitor.

Figuring I had waited long enough, I turned it off and replaced the jumper and rebooted.

The firmware is still at 7.1.60.1193.

I tried the CD method three times, one of which was a fresh download of the BIO file, with the same results.

Any suggestions? The download document lists special instructions; however, the link just goes to a general screen without any instructions.

n_scott_pearson

Yes. Go back to the USB flash stick. Reformat it on some other Windows-based PC, using the FAT32 file system and with the Quick option disabled (unchecked). Put only the .BIO file in this stick. Now go through the jumper-based recovery process. That is, remove the yellow BIOS configuration jumper, plug the stick into a blue USB port and power on. You should see progress displayed onscreen.

...S

ECD2
Beginner

Ok I built the USB stick with the BIO file and put it in blue USB port.

Turned it off and removed the jumper and them powered it up.

I forgot to remove the CD so I took it out as soon as I could.

Looks like it is really messed up now.

It is completely unresponsive other than it does read the CD, but no processor lights.

Is my only recourse to reflash the BIOS?

n_scott_pearson

You *were* reflashing the BIOS - and potentially killed this operation while it was in-progress, which might have corrupted the BIOS permanently. We need to check. So, make sure the CD is removed, no other storage devices are plugged into USB, the USB flash stick is plugged into a back panel (black!) USB port, the jumper is removed and power on. You should see the LED on the USB flash stick flash a few times and a display of the update progress on your monitor.

...S

ECD2
Beginner

I tried you suggestion and no luck. I believe it is corrupted permanently, unless you have any other suggestions.

Note to self - Don't do that again!

Thank you for the directions and assistance you provided me.

I really appreciate you staying with me on this one.

Best Regards,

n_scott_pearson

One last thing to try: Unplug machine from wall, remove CR2032 battery from socket on board, wait 15 minutes, put battery back in and then power it back up. If it will now POST, you will need to do the following:

1. Use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Set the current date and time.
  3. Use F9 (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults.
  4. Use F10 (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup with a save of the BIOS Configuration.
  5. When you see POST happening again, power off.
  6. Follow the previous instructions to do jumper-based BIOS Recovery. Use only USB 2.0 flash stick. Use only black USB port on back panel of board. Oh, and make sure you have that CD removed.

If you are able to do Recovery operation, then do the following:

1. Use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Use F9 (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults.
  3. Use F10 (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup with a save of the BIOS Configuration.
  4. At POST, use F2 to again enter BIOS Setup.
  5. Make any changes to the BIOS Configuration that you need for your hardware (Boot Order, etc.).
  6. Use F10 (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup with a save of the BIOS Configuration.

Hope this works,

...S

ECD2
Beginner

BIOS was corrupted so I have replaced the MB with the same model.

This MB's BIOS is at 0105, which is ten versions prior to 0160 the latest BIOS.

Since the BIOS recovery method is a reflash of the BIOS, can I just install 0160 without doing all of the prior version?

Or is it safer to do each one in order individually?

n_scott_pearson

1. See notes below before proceeding.
  2. Install BIOS 151 using the Recovery Method. See http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005630.html?wapkw=bios+recovery Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions and http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005859.html Updating the BIOS to Support 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors for more details.
  3. After restoring jumper and powering back on, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  4. Scroll down to System Identification Information and press .
  5. Scroll down and verify ME firmware revision is 8.0.0.1294. Stop and shout if it's not.
  6. Use (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup.
  7. Install BIOS 160 using the normal F7 method (but you may also use the Recovery Method if you wish).
  8. Once this is complete, at next display of BIOS splash screen, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  9. Scroll down to System Identification Information and press .
  10. Scroll down and verify ME firmware revision is 8.0.13.1502. Stop and shout if it's not.
  11. Use F9 (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS configuration to defaults.
  12. Use F10 (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup saving the BIOS configuration reset.
  13. When you see the BIOS splash screen reappear, again use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  14. Make any changes in BIOS Setup that you absolutely need (Boot order, SATA Mode, etc.).
  15. Use F10 (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup saving the BIOS configuration changes.
  16. Test ability to boot.

Note: For step 2, you will need USB flash stick with file BL0151P.BIO on it.

Note: For step 6, you will need USB flash stick with file BL0160.BIO on it.

Note: The USB flash stick(s) should be USB 2.0. Do not use USB 3.0 flash sticks.

Note: The USB flash stick(s) should be reformatted on a Windows-based PC using the FAT32 file system and with the Quick option disabled.

Note: Plug these USB flash sticks into black USB 2.0 port on the back panel of the board. Do not use front panel USB ports. Do not use yellow USB charging ports. Do not use blue USB 3.0 ports.

Hope this helps,

...S

ECD2
Beginner

Thank you for the detailed list of instructions. That is greatly appreciated.

I put 151P on a USB 2.0 stick inserted it in one of the black usb ports on the back, removed the jumper and powered it on.

The disk activity light has shown activity, but no onscreen display as of yet.

It has been running for 25 minutes now. The disk activity light flashes in a pattern, one flash, then either 3 or 4 flashes and then repeats. The multiple flashes are very fast and hard to count.

Given my prior disaster, I am just leaving the machine on, until I get further instructions from you.

ECD2
Beginner

Ok, I checked the specs. on the USP stick that I used. It was listed as a 2.0/3.0/3.1.

Should I find one that is only 2.0?

n_scott_pearson

If nothing is seen onscreen, you need to wait a minimum of 15 minutes before powering off.

I would find an old USB 2.0 stick. There are too many compatibility issues with 3.0 sticks on these older machines. I can't say whether this is what is preventing the Recovery from running, however.

What are you using for graphics?