cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Microsoft Update belches out an unknown driver

Jump to solution

Microsoft Update released an alleged Intel driver. I have it waiting on 6-series boards running W-7. The driver is "INTEL – System – 8/19/2016 12:00:00 AM – 10.1.2.80" but the associated webpage explains nothing. The Microsoft Update Catalog page suggests it's Atom and/or USB related, the former of which is spurious for me. I'm not going to accept it, but I wanted to know if anyone here had any ideas.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx%3Fq%3D8%252F19%252F2016%252010.1.2.80 http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=8/19/2016%2010.1.2.80

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I saw it and stupidly let it install onto my DZ87KL board. It is an INF Update package (what they now call a "Chipset Software" package) and it wiped out my SMBus driver (which is necessary for Intel Desktop Utilities to get DIMM temperatures), replacing it with a dummy entry...

...S

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Highlighted

I saw it and stupidly let it install onto my DZ87KL board. It is an INF Update package (what they now call a "Chipset Software" package) and it wiped out my SMBus driver (which is necessary for Intel Desktop Utilities to get DIMM temperatures), replacing it with a dummy entry...

...S

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User

Do you know when this update was released and its KB number?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted

It was released yesterday (the 20th), though its title list date "8/19/2016 12:00:00 AM" and its description says "INTEL System driver update released in August 2016". There is no KB number listed with/for it (that I can see). Interestingly, it is listed as having successfully installed on my system twice.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I just check Windows Update again. This package is in the to-be-installed list yet again. I am hiding it.

At a certain point, Intel started releasing Intel Chipset Software packages that could not be used with older systems (I think the break was between V9 and V10). Since this is numbered as 10.1.2.80, it is likely that this is not going to work completely on older systems. Unfortunately, MS' test for applicability is enabling it for these older systems...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Thanks for the info. I will have to hide it when I get back to my dz87kl system.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you all for reporting this matter.

Allan.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Thanks, Scott. Your tidbit about the break between v.9 and v.10 for chipset drivers is very useful. Intel offers 9.4.0.1027 for DH67 boards, which meshes perfectly with what you said. Too bad Microsoft doesn't get it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I accidentally applied this. I have tried the Driver Update Utility but it keeps failing while installing the correct driver. 10.1.1.14 is what the driver utility tries. My server has quite a lot of stuff installed to include INTime. Are there any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Don't worry; it didn't actually install anything (it doesn't actually contain updates for older hardware). As a result of this, however, when you go into Windows Update subsequently, you are going to see the update wanting to installed again (and again and again). You need to right-click on the entry in Windows Update and select to hide it so that it doesn't get nominated to run over and over.

My concern with INTime is that INTime installs a special version of the HAL (this is the entity that allows Windows to run as the INTime RT Kernel's idle task) and, if this update somehow caused Windows to load a new HAL, INTime would not run properly anymore. If you are seeing no issues with INTime, good! (and phew!).

If you do want to install the latest chipset software, you want to go back to the last available 9.x version. Starting in the 10.0 version (my guess to cut maintenance costs), they stopped including updates for older hardware.

...S

Highlighted
Novice

More info...

As of today I am seeing a different version of the driver being offered in Windows Update (on a Windows 7 machine):

• The version mentioned by the original poster in Dec 2016
    • INTEL – System – 8/19/2016 12:00:00 AM – 10.1.2.80
  • The version I'm seeing as of February 15, 2017
    • INTEL – System – 10/3/2016 12:00:00 AM – 10.1.1.38

I have found an Intel technical support article (dated January 19, 2017) which I believe to be relevant. It appears to be an acknowledgement of the observations offered above by N. Scott Pearson.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/software/chipset-software/000023446.html Intel® Chipset Device Software Update Through Microsoft Windows*... @

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/software/chipset-software/000023446.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/software/chipset-software/000023446.html

There is a discussion in the Microsoft Communities about this issue as well:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/intel-system-1032016-120000-am-10... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/intel-system-1032016-120000-am-10...

And finally, there is another thread in the Intel Community forums which discusses this issue and looks to offer some resolutions in the context of a particular Intel product (I haven't tested yet):

/thread/110536 https://communities.intel.com/thread/110536

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner
  • The version mentioned by the original poster in Dec 2016
    • INTEL – System – 8/19/2016 12:00:00 AM – 10.1.2.80
  • The version I'm seeing as of February 15, 2017
    • INTEL – System – 10/3/2016 12:00:00 AM – 10.1.1.38

I'm certain that this was one of the updates last year that broke my notebook settings... There was another one just before 1511 that broke things aswell... I'm preparing for 1710 - this time I have made my own distribution share for windows, so I can vet everything.

Once upon a time my Intel Chipset Drivers were uniform release versions back in 2015... now it's a mix between 10.1.1.9, 10.1.1.38, 10.1.1.42, 10.1.2.10, 10.1.2.86... i get stung twice because I have the crystalwell+lynxpoint

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yea, the problem here is that the Windows Update catalog is saying that this update applies to your hardware when, in fact, it really does not. You need to keep around a copy of a 9.x version of the Chipset Software (INF Update) package to overinstall (after the fact) to fix it. For Intel Desktop Board products, you will also need to uninstall and then reinstall Intel Desktop Utilities (IDU) to fix the overwrite of the SMBus driver entry (or just rerun the SMBus installer; which is included (with a standalone installer) within the IDU package).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

N.Scott.Pearson

I should collate it all

0 Kudos
Highlighted

My understanding is that version 10.0.0.0 of the Chipset Software (INF Update) package dropped support for the (unique) devices within the 8 Series and earlier chipsets. You thus need to keep around a copy of an older, 9.x version to handle these devices. Yea, it's true that some of the devices are common and thus can and will be updated by the later (10.x+) packages, but this is the exception and not the rule.

Your mix is not as much of a mix as you think. Each device within the chipset (PCH) is handled by a particular release of its INF file and the version number for this INF file is independent of the version number for this (and any subsequent) release of the Chipset Software (INF Update) package. In these subsequent packages, if a particular INF file doesn't need to change, its version number stays the same as it was before. Thus, you can appear to have a mix when, in fact, the entire set of devices is being handled by the latest release of the package (it's just over-installing the same INF file version for that particular device). Intel could sync version numbers, but they have chosen to not do so.

Yea, Intel Desktop Utilities only applied to Intel Desktop Boards.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

yeah, using the WDK, I was stepping through the Intel WiFi Drivers for ac7260, and there were no functional changes between 18.12 and 18.33, just mostly things with the interface page for windows and removal of PROSET

I was just trying to compile a list so I knew which were the problem packages.

I'm in the middle of posting on the MSDN forum for setup api, to request additional enum, for description - such as the MEI null drivers - to display in device manager property page: "No drivers are required as specified by Manufacturer/OEM". Currently its "No drivers are installed for this device", with the page displaying a Microsoft Driver in use.

(not my hardware, in using my phone so I can't take screenshots)

it'll make debugging easier.

I'm also kicking up a fuss about this setting never being adhered to, and even in group policy

If they can't see the correlation and how ridiculous it is, then I probably will just give up on Microsoft.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

jesus, don't worry, just had a reply from a msdn mod about a post I made msft_disks isnt related to dot net base classes clr io and some other listed in the category subforum, and I should ask on the windows forums.

I see where the problem is now.

I might just fix my own stuff and to hell with the rest of the planet

0 Kudos