Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SCAS-JM
Beginner

Miniport Intel (R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter#2

We have 4 brand new Dell Precision 3640 Tower computers.  On each one of them, we installed 2 Miniport Intel (R) Gigabit CT Desktop NIC adapters. INTEL order code EXPI9301CT.

These 4 computers have Win10 Pro/64 bits with the latest Windows updates as of 1/18/21.  These computers are going to be working as pairs.  On each one of the computers, a NIC is installed and dedicated to connect to its counterpart computer for synchronizing data between the computers.  The redundant pair of computers have to use a NIC, installed on each computer, and connect both NICS using a crossover CAT5 cable.  Instead of using a crossover cable, I used a crossover adapter.

After rebooting the 4 computers, and having them running for a while, two of the computers, which are running as backup computers for each pair, get disconnected.  In the Device manager, we get a yellow exclamation mark and the device status for the NICs is:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)."

I went to the Windows system logs and found the following consecutive error, information and warning messages:

Error:

Miniport Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter #2, {50126ea0-f013-456d-b9ab-a2ea54adbf57}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

Source: NDIS. Event ID: 10317. Task Category: PnP. Keywords: (16384),(16),(4),(2)

Information:

Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter #2
The network driver has been stopped because the network adapter has been removed.

Source: e1i65x64. Event ID: 56. Task Category: None. Keywords: Classic

Warning:

Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter #2
Network link is disconnected.

Source: e1i65x64. Event ID: 27. Task Category: None. Keywords: Classic

We have another set of redundant computers and we do not observe this problem.  The NICS are the same on this other set.  The Dell models are different, but they have Win10 Pro, 64 bits and the we have a crossover cable connecting the computers, we are not using a crossover adapter.

Can you provide and insight on what this error means and why it is happening?

We have not tried yet to uninstall/reinstall the drivers.  The other NICs, who are not acting as dedicated data redundancy NICS are working fine.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Have you tried replacing these crossover adapters with crossover cables from a working system and verified that this also doesn't work?

Just a thought...

...S

SCAS-JM
Beginner

Hello ...S,
Since I wrote this and read your reply, I have done the following:
On one pair I replaced the crossover adapter with a crossover cable.
On the other pair, I left the crossover adapter.
The software that synchronizes the data between the computers requires the NICS to be set to work with Jumbo frames (packets) at a rate of 9014 bytes. I disabled the jumbo frames on all four NICS.

On each computers pair I made them ping each other, in other words, primary NIC pinged backup NIC and backup NIC pinged primary NIC. At some point, one of the NICS in the pair failed. I then had only ONE of the computers in the pair ping its counter part. This seemed to work on each pair, the one that had the crossover cable and the pair that had the crossover adapter.

I then started the software that uses the NICS for synchronizing data and then one of the NICs failed. In the Windows Logs System the error is:
"Miniport Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter #2, {13628ff0-cab1-4d13-8843-c1626c7243ed}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error"
Source: NDIS
Event ID 10317
Keywords: (16384),(16),(4),(2)
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Interesting. Unfortunately, this is beyond my ken. You have posted this question in the Intel Desktop Boards forum. A more-appropriate audience would be encountered if you posed this question in the Ethernet Products forum. Unfortunately, I cannot move this conversation there. You will need to re-post your question there yourself.

...S