Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
11435 Discussions

Motherboard DG45ID

dmitrys
Novice

Hello, anybody give firmware BIOS on this product?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The attached ZIP file provides the BIO file and its Release Notes. I recommend that you install this update using the BIOS Recovery process. To help you better, here are my step-by-step instructions for this process:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, make sure that you have the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives (most are not compatible). It is also best if you use a flash drive that has an access LED that you can watch.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Select to install the FAT32 file system (NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  10. NOTE: Remember the pins that this jumper was plugged onto; you will need this information later.
  11. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue or yellow USB 3.0 port. Do not use any front panel USB port.
  12. Power on the system.
  13. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report displayed on your main monitor.
  14. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on any monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  15. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so.
  16. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  17. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  18. Power on the board.
  19. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see the BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  20. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  21. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  22. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  23. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  24. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  25. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  26. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

dmitrys
Novice
n_scott_pearson

Were you successful installing it?

...S

dmitrys
Novice
Fede_Ulloa
Beginner

Hello Scott.

I noticed you might have different BIOS files for Intel motherboards.

I have a DG45ID MB, and when I upgraded the BIOS some time ago, I noticed some features started having issues. Even though the computer runs fine, these are the issues I am seeing:

1. The fan control does not seem to work properly - The CPU fan is always running in the lower speed and never increases as the CPU ges hotter. The heatsink is a good one, so I/ve never had a shut down due to overheating, but I do get warnings from the Intel monitoring app.

2. The Intel desktop utilities is unable to load, so I could no longer control fan speed.

3. I've seen a couple of times, hard drives being reported as formatted in RAW, but not true, and has taken a few efforts to have them read again. Once fixed, the issue has never returned. Strange, but only started happening after that BIOS update.

4. On-board sound has stopped working a few times. Found a few fixes at the OS level, but would work for some time. Ended up buying a USB sound card. But never had those issues before.

5. When shutting down, windows will terminate normally, I'll get a black screen, but the power supply remains on. I actually have to power it off with the power switch on the back. When powering up, Windows starts normally.

Current BIOS version as reported during boot:

Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension v5.0.5.003

Intel (R) ME Firmware version 5.0.0.1087

I'd welcome any suggestions from you to get the features running properly. Or, if you have any previous BIOS files at hand, I'd appreciate if you can upload them, or let me know where to download them. I suspect that reverting to the previous version might fix the issues.

Best regards,

Federico Ulloa.

n_scott_pearson

What BIOS version do you have installed (it isn't listed in your previous post) and how did you install it (i.e., BIOS Recovery, Windows EBU executable, DOS iFlash)? Based upon ME F/W version number, you have a BIOS release what was in version range 75-83; to put that in perspective, the final BIOS released was version 135 (ID0135.BIO; IDG4510H.86A.0135.2011.0225.1100).

What version of Intel Desktop Utilities (IDU) are you running/do you have installed? The final BIOS release had a fix for an issue that caused IDU to not display any data if UEFI was enabled.

The issue with fan speed control may have to do with the 'age' of your BIOS. In general, however, with a PID-based control mechanism, processor temperature has to be rising at a significantly fast rate to produce an early fan response. If temperatures rise relatively slowly, the fans will hold off increasing fan speed until the temperature approaches the processor's Tcontrol temperature. The algorithms will not let the temperature go above this threshold, however. Rest assured that no damage will happen to the processor if this control is working properly (and it should be, I designed it).

...S

Fede_Ulloa
Beginner

Hello Scott,

Back at the time, I would normally run the Windows executable. 

I checked, and this is my current BIOS version - Intel Corp. IDG4510H.86A.0077.2008.0725.1734, so, you are right, it would seem like it's not the most recent update (I thought it was). Maybe I can try with the BIOS file you shared in this thread. Just in case, let me know if there is a way to back-up the current BIOS in case I need to roll back. (I don't have any BIOS files from the past).

As for the Intel desktop utilities - it is ver. 3.1.2. (December 3, 2010). Not sure if there is a more recent version.

I remember the PID algorithm used to work fine in the past, so I doubt there is any hardware issue. And seeing that the Intel Desktop Utilities is unable to load (Even before and after a fresh Windows install), that's the reason I suspect that last BIOS update I had done might have had an issue.  In any case, the CPU fan never increases speed even when the Intel monitoring app reports the fan is close to its threshold (but fortunately never reaches the max temp where the CPU shuts down).

Similar with the power off of the system, the PS stays on unless turn it off  using the power switch.

BTW, I also worked for Intel some years ago, first with CS in the construction area, and then in the Mixed Signal Group performing SW simulations & validation for I/O interfaces.

n_scott_pearson

All you can do is install the ID0135.BIO file that I attached previously. You will need to install it following the process that I also outlined previously. Once you are done (including clearing the BIOS configuration, which is also important to ensure that the QST configuration is reset as well) and can boot into Windows, you can try uninstalling IDU and then reinstalling it again.

I have attached the installation package for the last release of IDU, version 3.2.8.089. It was never tested on any of the QST boards, but it did retain support for them. If you try it, let me know how it works.

...S

n_scott_pearson

Well, that's terse. Not yet, as in haven't had a chance to try or not yet, as in it didn't work?

...S

kiranchevuri
New Contributor I
AlHill
Super User

I have asked you twice before to start a new thread.   Also, do not do multiple posts.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]