cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JArce2
Novice

Motherboard H61 bricked after updated to BIOS 099

Jump to solution

Original BIOS version was 0020. Scott Pearson super user advised me to upgrade from 0020 to 0048, then to 0099 using the  BIOS recovery method (removing BIOS jumper and attaching a 2.0 USB with the BIOS file to then turn the PC on), and then to 0120 using the F7 process. I tried to do so following every step I was told to do, but it didn't work, I always got a blank  screen. Then I tried to use the F7 process to upgrade from 0020 to 0048, but the PC prompt me that that method was not allowed, I had to use the iFlash or the Express BIOS update process. So I searched the internet and found a .EXE file to perform the Express BIOS update, and it was successful, I updated BIOS from 0020 to 0048 version. The Windows 10 64 bit OS loaded normally, then I continued to upgrade to 0099 using the BIOS Recovery process, and it did, but now my PC only boots to BIOS screen, it cannot load Windows or any other OS from a USB stick. I also tried to upgrade to BIOS version 0120 using the F7 process, but it do not work, pressing F7 after turning on the PC only freezes the screen. So I am stuck at a 0099 BIOS version that do not allow me to upgrade to a higher version nor let a OS to load. Any idea?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JArce2
Novice

Finally I succeded to update from BIOS 0099 version (with non working Intel Managemen Engine) to BIOS 0120 version (with working Intel Management Engine). Here is what I got to do:

1. Unplug AC power cord, remove CR2032 button backup battery, wait 20 minutes.

2. Unplug SATA cables, remove 4GB RAM module from DIMM slot 2, the other 4GB RAM module stayed in place in slot 1, remove a PCI expansion card to 5x USB 2.0 additional ports.

3. Use a PS/2 keyboard, not a USB one.

4. Plug AC power cord and proceed to BIOS Recovery Process to update BIOS to 0120 version. This time all the steps of the proccess showed on screen.

5. Turn the PC off. Remove AC power cord. Reinstall in place yellow BIOS jumper, CR2032 battery, PCI expansion card, plug all SATA cables.

6. Plug AC power cord, turn the PC on, enter the BIOS pressing F2, configure boot order, save changes, exit BIOS and wait Windows to load.

Thank you very much for your help, Scott.

Best regards

View solution in original post

7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

During next BIOS POST, use F2 key to enter BIOS Setup. On main page, scroll down to Additional System Information (or something similar) entry and select. Scroll down to bottom of list. There should be an entry that displays the ME firmware revision. What is it?

If it is displaying as 0.0.0.0 or as blanks, this means that the ME is not operating properly. What you should do at this point is use the BIOS Recovery process to reinstall BIOS 99. Hopefully, this will recover the ME.

...S

JArce2
Novice

Yes, it displays 0.0.0.0. BIOS recovery method seems not to be available in my MoBo, every time I try to do it I get no response, it only shows a black blank screen. After that I tried to re-flash BIOS 0099 using the F7 method, as it was available, but the system freezed, and I had to reboot it after 5 minutes being freezed. then I tried to flash BIOS 0120 using the F7 method, but the flashing proccess aborted, finally, I tried to downgrade  to BIOS 0048, but the PC freezed again. I attached photos.

n_scott_pearson

Once you have the ME in a non-operational state, only BIOS Recovery can be used. All others will fail. Only BIOS Recovery can update the ME firmware in this state. You have got to get BIOS Recovery working. Here are my BIOS Recovery instructions:

To help you better, here are my step-by-step instructions for BIOS Recovery:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, download the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives (most are not compatible). It is also best if you use a flash drive that has an access LED that you can watch.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Select to install the FAT32 file system (NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of the USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will usually be black.
  10. NOTE: Remember the pins that this jumper was plugged onto; you will need this information later.
  11. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue or yellow USB 3.0 port. Do not use any front panel USB ports.
  12. Power on the system.
  13. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  14. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  15. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so.
  16. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  17. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  18. Power on the board.
  19. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see the BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  20. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  21. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  22. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  23. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  24. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  25. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  26. Test.

Here are some additional thoughts:

• If BIOS Recovery will not start, try using a different USB port. You can try the USB 3.0 ports as well.
  • If switching USB ports didn't work, try using a different USB flash drive.
  • As always, best to use USB flash drive that has an access LED so you can visually see if it is accessed.
  • If you are seeing USB flash drive being accessed by BIOS Recovery does not start, a common cause is compatibility with the memory present. BIOS Recovery engine, as it is with USB 3.0 flash drives, can be very picky with regards to memory compatibility. Try removing all but one DIMM/SODIMM.
  • For more information on the BIOS Recovery process, consult Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions.

Hope this helps,

...S

JArce2
Novice

Thank you very much, Scott. What BIO file am I supposed to work with? 0048, 0099 or 0120?

n_scott_pearson

I would think BIOS 0099, that's where you are currently, right?

...S

JArce2
Novice

Finally I succeded to update from BIOS 0099 version (with non working Intel Managemen Engine) to BIOS 0120 version (with working Intel Management Engine). Here is what I got to do:

1. Unplug AC power cord, remove CR2032 button backup battery, wait 20 minutes.

2. Unplug SATA cables, remove 4GB RAM module from DIMM slot 2, the other 4GB RAM module stayed in place in slot 1, remove a PCI expansion card to 5x USB 2.0 additional ports.

3. Use a PS/2 keyboard, not a USB one.

4. Plug AC power cord and proceed to BIOS Recovery Process to update BIOS to 0120 version. This time all the steps of the proccess showed on screen.

5. Turn the PC off. Remove AC power cord. Reinstall in place yellow BIOS jumper, CR2032 battery, PCI expansion card, plug all SATA cables.

6. Plug AC power cord, turn the PC on, enter the BIOS pressing F2, configure boot order, save changes, exit BIOS and wait Windows to load.

Thank you very much for your help, Scott.

Best regards

View solution in original post

n_scott_pearson

That's good news! Thanks for letting us know. I will have to think about your additional steps and where there are implications for others.

...S