Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AStac
Beginner

Mouse lag when highlighting icons

Hi there, I've had a mouse lag problem when doing things like highlighting icons, transitions between windows and application processes. I've had a few people tell me I need to update my chipset drivers, but I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible before I do anything. Here is my system info.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

There is no such thing as a "chipset driver". It is mistakenly referred to as a chipset driver, but it is just a bunch of names for devices on you PC. If you have no yellow bang's in the device manager, you are likely ok. Sometimes, the chipset INF can correct a device name, which will trigger a new(er) driver to be installed. Asustek will likely have the most correct Chipset Driver (aka Chipset INF) on their site for your board. With as old as your board and processor are, Windows 10 would have had all the information needed anyway.

Regarding the lag, just as a quick test, I would disable real-time anti-virus checking, if you are using something other than Windows Defender.

When Idle, do you see any cpu usage or disk activity in the task manager? How much?

Doc

AStac
Beginner

Ok because I thought I download stuff for the chipset from intel, if I download the wrong program will it mess anything up? Or do you think it would prompt me that I dont need it? I am also wondering if I do run any update to the chipset device does that mean I need to update my bios aswell? Or can I just run the INF utility without doing anything to the bios?

With no apps I am running at 4% CPU / 15% memory and 1 or 2% disk usage sometimes. I have both malwarebytes and avast installed maybe thats the problem? I have also clean installed windows several times so it seems to be some kind of internal problem.

AlHill
Super User

If the INF is not applicable, it will not change anything.

No, you do not need to update the bios. But, in these times, it would not hurt to be at the current bios.

Yes, you an run the INF without updating the bios.

If both malwarebytes and avast are real-time, yes, that is a big problem as you cannot have more than one real-time anti-malware product running (despite any claims of compatibility or cooperation between products). Choose one. Personally, I would remove avast ASAP as it is one of the worst offenders for sucking up resources. And, make certain you run their cleanup tool after you uninstall it. On every machine where I have removed avast (or mcafee) I have noticed an immediate improvement. Again, personally, Windows Defender is pretty good on resources. Just saying.

I did not see your graphics version. It would not hurt to be at the latest version of the graphic driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28662?product=75043

Doc

AStac
Beginner

Thanks abunch, I turned off MB real time and I am noticing a possible improvement. I cant tell right away because its such a subtle issue but its noticable at the worst times. Hopefully I wont run into anymore lag, You have helped me learn abit more about these issues so I really appreciate it thanks again!

AlHill
Super User

Glad to help. But, I would really get rid of avast!<g>

Doc

AlHill
Super User

Also, if you want to keep MB, you can still use it for on-demand scanning. Just keep the real-time off.

Back when I was using one real-time product, I always kept MB to do on-demand scanning for a good second opinion.

Doc

JSanc51
Beginner

As I know, Avast has real time scanning. Windows antivirus also has real time protection and I think it works fine.