Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSzen1
Beginner

My D525MW (Atom) motherboard won't boot after BIOS upgrade

I wanted to add an Intel Value SSD to an Atom computer, but it would not work, than I read a BIOS update is needed so I proceded to do so.

I have upgraded the BIOS from (probably the RTM version) to the latest.

I cannot get the computer to boot anymore.

No matter what combination of SATA configuration mode (SATA/IDE) , BIOS/EFI, boot device type enabled or boot order I set it always ends up with the message:

No boot device has been detected, please press any key to rebooot!

The computer does boot from the network.

I have both BIOS and GPT/EFI boot-able partitions.

I have tried taking out all devices, the battery resetting the BIOS, to no good.

I read BIOS upgrades should be done in an increment of at most 2 or 3 BIOS versions, but on the site I can only download the very latest.

I have found 0113, but after downgrading it behaves exactly the same.

So my questions are:

• can this be fixed somehow?
  • is there a way to download all previous versions so I can install all one after the other?
  • or how could I get hold of the original BIOS so I can downgrade (and forget about adding a Value SSD, but at least) make it boot again?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

1. Reinstall the latest BIOS again, but this time do so using the BIOS Recovery method. This is documented here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005630/boards-and-kits.html.
  2. Previous BIOS releases are no longer available on the Intel site. Rumor has it they are available elsewhere; you can try doing internet search for them.
  3. See answer to #1 and #2.

...S

JSzen1
Beginner

Sorry for having forgotten to mention it, but I have executed the BIOS Recovery method mentioned.

No change in the behavior at all, the end result is the same message and inability to boot in BIOS or UEFI mode.

As for finding a download location, have been looking for one for days.

No luck so far.

n_scott_pearson

Did the BIOS Recovery actually work? That is, did you actually see the display of progress messages for the various capsules in the .BIO file being processed and installed?

When booting, have you tried using F10 key to attempt to initiate boot from a particular device?

...S

JSzen1
Beginner

Yes, it did work, it listed what the current BIOS version is, what the old version is, what it is doing and at the and (as expected) printed out the instruction to change jumper back to normal position and reboot.

F10 also works, it displays all HDDs (1 SSD, 1 HDD and 1 Value SSD).

No matter what I select it does not "pick up" any of the BIOS or EFI boot partitions.

Booting from USB stick works, booting from PXE also works, but not from fixed disks (no matter what disk I take out or leave in).

I wonder, has BIOS boot support been removed at some point and only Microsoft UEFI is supported?

n_scott_pearson

No, there have been no changes in the BIOS since 2013. I am not seeing any changes having to do with EFI/UEFI at all. Just to make a point, EFI/UEFI has nothing specifically to do with Microsoft. It was designed by Intel (as EFI) and was renamed to UEFI when Intel put it in the public domain.

When you used the BIOS Recovery process, was this from one BIOS version to another BIOS version or was this a reinstall of the same (i.e. latest) BIOS version?

Regardless, please try doing a reinstall of the latest BIOS Version using the BIOS Recovery process. When the BIOS Recovery indicates it has completed the reinstall, do the following:

1. Power off and restore the yellow jumper to pins 1-2 of the BIOS Configuration header.
  2. Power on. During BIOS POST, press F2 key to enter BIOS Setup.
  3. Press F9 key (followed by Y) to reset BIOS Configuration to defaults.
  4. Press F10 (followed by Y) to save this change and exit BIOS Setup.
  5. During subsequent POST, again use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  6. Make any changes (Boot Order, EFI enable, etc.) in the BIOS Configuration that you require and any changes (NUMLOCK state, etc.) that you desire.
  7. Press F10 (followed by Y) to save this change and exit BIOS Setup.
  8. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

JSzen1
Beginner

I appreciate your patience.

I know that EFI/UEFI has nothing specifically to do with Microsoft, but many mobo manufacturers don't.

But I guess you're right, I should not have included Intel in that club.

I first installed the latest BIOS than tried every method of resetting the BIOS settings with no change to the outcome.

Than I have downgraded to 0113.

Again tried all sorts of methods to clear and reset the BIOS settings with no change to the outcome.

In both cases even removing the mobo battery and leaving it absolutely un-powered for at least 12 hours (though I'm convinced once the battery is out and the capacitors are emptied it is not necessary to wait any longer).

Now, before executing the steps you suggested I again upgraded the BIOS to the latest version using the recovery/jumperles start.

Than I have executed the steps you mentioned.

Also without any change to the outcome: still no boot device is found.

JSzen1
Beginner

Honestly, right now I'd even take downgrading to the original BIOS (and throw away the 2GB Intel Value SSD - that was and remains thus useless) if only I could download it from somewhere.

At least I'd have a functioning machine again.

JSzen1
Beginner

The problem has been solved by installing the 2nd BIOS release (MWPNT10N.86A.0068.2010.0902.1442).

I have found a site where all BIOS versions were listed for downloading - hope those are the original unaltered ones.

After installation of the retro BIOS both booting and the value SSD work now.

n_scott_pearson

While, at this point, it really becomes more of an academic issue than anything else, but it would be nice to know what, if any, BIOS release introduced the problem. I believe that it is possible that the problem occurred simply because of the significant jump in BIOS version that you did initially. If you can find the BIOS files, step forward about 5 versions at a time (i.e. try, for example, versions 80, then 89, then 122 and finally 132). If nothing else, it will identify how far forward you may be able to come - and, the further you can come, the more (fixed) BIOS issues you will avoid ever encountering...

...S