Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

My System is showing a very high temperature, what should I do?

I have Intel DH55TC with Intel Core i3 530 (1st Gen) processor.

Recently (after almost 8+ years) I'm facing an issue of abrupt restart of the system.

I suspected overheating as it is a very old system, and I used both IDU and a 3rd party tool.

here are the screenshots

IDU:

Hardware Monitor:

What I'm worried about is what is the 105 degree Celsius temperature for 'System'?

looking at the IDU it seems all is fine, but in my BIOS I see that 'CPU Core Temperature', and it shows 42-43 degree Celsius after startup and increases at a very high rate, like probably 1 degree jump at every 15-20 seconds, and finally when I log in and checks the 'Hardware Monitor' app, the 'System' temperature shows that high (105 Degree Celsius)

Do I need to apply thermal paste at my CPU? is that what 'System' means?

Please help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Tools like Open Hardware Monitor have reasonably good knowledge of how to extract sensor readings from the various monitoring devices (like Super I/O (SIO) chips) that are used on motherboards, but they don't really have any idea how these chips are actually being USED by the motherboard. This often results in bad and spurious readings.

A common example is voltage sensors. Some sensors require resistor networks to divide down the voltage to fit in the range supported by the SIO's digital to analog converters. When readings are extracted from the SIO registers, they need to be multiplied by the appropriate value to put the readings back in the original range. Unfortunately, the tools have no idea whether a multiplier is needed or what the appropriate the multiplier actually is. Net result: garbage readings.

The other common example -- and indeed the one affecting you -- is where there are unused sensors or sensors that can be used in multiple ways. The tools have absolutely no idea whether or how these sensors are being used and they display them anyway. For example, the SIO might have an input that can be used to monitor either an external temperature diode or an external voltage. If it is used to monitor a voltage, for example, a garbage reading will appear in the temperature reading register associated with it. If it is used to monitor a remote temperature diode, on the other hand, a garbage reading will appear in the voltage reading register associated with it.

In your particular case, the tool is avoiding the display of external voltages completely (because they don't understand them) and it is displaying a temperature sensor reading that is garbage (the third temperature sensor supported by the SIO is not used).

The Intel Desktop Utilities application is designed to support the Intel Desktop Board products and fully understands what hardware is being used and how it is being used. You can always rely on this tool to have it right. As an alternative, use a tool like AIDA64, which uses an internal database to augment their determination of what hardware is used and how it is being used, to ensure that it displays the sensors properly.

Hope this helps,

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for the great explanation and the awesome hint to use AIDA64 to better understand the issue.

Whats I found from AIDA64 is this:

After I googled what 'Tjmax' is, found that its 'Temperature Junction Max' and for my 1st Gen Core i3 the threshold is probably around 100 Degrees Celsius (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html )

So, could you please help me with how to take it down? like do I need to have a custom CPU cooler or applying a Thermal Paste on the CPU will do?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

The Maximum Junction Temperature is the temperature where your particular processor, if it gets that hot, will start throttling performance to protect the processor from damage due to thermal overrun. This CPUID scene is telling you where this threshold is, not that the processor is actually getting this hot (i.e. it is not a sensor reading!).

The scene in AIDA64 that you actually want to watch is labelled Sensors; it is in the Computer section, just a few entries above the CPUID scene that you are currently displaying.

Summarizing, you have so far showed me no bad readings occurring and that there is currently nothing that needs to be done.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Scott,

Then it seems all is fine at least from hardware side:

this is the sensor screenshot from AIDA64:

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

0 Kudos